UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2021, 12:54 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Tandberg cassette audio logic switching

I am trying to repair a fault on this TCR5500 language lab student deck, a 2-channel machine. Basically, the fault symptoms are that when record ('speak' ) is pressed, the drive activates but the audio circuits do not. Playback mode (both tracks) is fine. The unit is disconnected from master console (so no Teacher control line).

This unit uses NAND gates, i.e. output is high only when all inputs are low. (logic high: 8-15v; logic low: 0-6v)

What ought to happen is the following:
-Master relay energizes, feeding playback head signal to amp. (At the same time the bias oscillator is connected to a dummy load instead in lieu of to the erase head for master track to maintain a stable load).
-Oscillator activated and record /'speak' lamp lights on panel. Recording takes place on student track whilst master is played back.

So far I have traced the logic (which is no easy task). Grounding pin3 of u105 had no effect. I have checked/lifted Cr197 , no change. Grounding pin 9 of u105c energizes the master relay and we get master playback sound but the oscillator and rec lamp remain dead. I would have expected the oscillator gate u105c to operate! Perhaps the master track gate was being activated via R199/R200?

Before condemning the ics (u105 and possibly u101) any thoughts? Maybe CR196 could be responsible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr5500 audio logic 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	231770   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr5500 audio logic 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	231771   Click image for larger version

Name:	24A.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	231772  
Old 14th Apr 2021, 1:34 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg cassette audio logic switching

Pictures all a bit blurred on my PC.

Good luck, I used to service language lab stuff at Simon Frazer University and the University of British Columbia back in the '70's, not my favourite job.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 3:55 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I am confused by your description of a NAND gate.

A NAND gate is an AND gate followed by an inverter. That is the output is low if and only if all inputs are high. The gate you've described is a NOR gate I think.

Alas the diagrams you've posted are too low a resoultion for me to be able to make much out of them.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 3:59 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Whoops.... Fraser not Frazer in Post#2.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 9:51 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I am confused by your description of a NAND gate.

A NAND gate is an AND gate followed by an inverter. That is the output is low if and only if all inputs are high. The gate you've described is a NOR gate I think.

Alas the diagrams you've posted are too low a resoultion for me to be able to make much out of them.
You're quite right on both counts! I typed that in a bit of a hurry, I can confirm they are NAND gates as you say.

I will try to scan some better quality docs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr 5500 audio logic hiRes.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	231788   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr 5500 audio logic hiRes closeup.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	231790   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr5500 24A cu.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	231791   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcr5500 24A cu2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	231792  

Last edited by ben; 14th Apr 2021 at 9:56 pm.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 11:29 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Grounding pin 9 of u105c energizes the master relay and we get master playback sound but the oscillator and rec lamp remain dead.
Correction: The above should read pin6 of u105b

Also, bridging C-E of either Q193 or Q195 does not seem to have any effect. I'd have thought that, even if the oscillator is faulty the rec/speak lamp would light in this case. Will keep investigating.

Last edited by ben; 16th Apr 2021 at 11:46 am.
Closed Thread