UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2020, 11:51 am   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Selecta Homemaster Drill Stand

Hello all

I recently acquire this drill stand thing, which I believe is from the late 50s early 60s, it seems well enough made and as far as I can see fairly complete, just a little surface rust and flaking paint.

However, I don’t have a drill that will fit it.

It has a 38mm collar fitting at the drill chuck end and a 12.5mm threaded screw, which I assume clamps into the other end like old Black and Decker drill stands, the max length between the collar mount and the screw is 178mm
I am guessing that an early aluminum B&D will fit, but if anyone could confirm collar sizes and ‘length’ of single and double speed models, it would make my goose chase less wild!

Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2486.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	222166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2489.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	222167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2488.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	222168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2490.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	222169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selecta Workshop 2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	222170  

Old 9th Dec 2020, 1:42 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Selecta Homemaster Drill Stand

An old B&D D720 has the collar and would probably fit, the single speed D500 / D700s don`t have the collar and were located by the B&D two prong system.

Quite a few older drills had the 1 1/2 inch collar and would probably fit, such as the Wolf Safetymaster for instance.

There was of course a Selecta drill - probably a bit thin on the ground now.
Old 9th Dec 2020, 3:46 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

2-speed B&D in "Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered" this afternoon

It's good here
Old 9th Dec 2020, 4:12 pm   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

It just so happens... I still have a 'Selecta 4500' drill from my fathers' old tools - looks like eBay item number 124449411436 (that's not mine, or anything to do with me - just a ref. to show what it looks like). If you need any measurements from the drill, just let me know - I can remember my father using it with the exact same type of stand, way back in the mid 1960's.

If it'll be put to use, then you're even welcome to the drill itself, foc, for the cost of shipping. It's definitely seen better days, and is in need of at least a new mains cable, and I'd say a safety check (it has one of my fathers' somewhat dodgy cable 'joins' taped in the middle of it)... from a quick check just now however, I can confirm it still works. I may even be able to locate some of the original Selecta accessories / tools / brochures, if it's of interest.

Alan
Old 9th Dec 2020, 4:52 pm   #5
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thanks everybody
I am now a little further forward
Alan, I will be sending you a PM
Many thanks
Philip
Old 9th Dec 2020, 6:48 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

You will find PDFs of the instruction booklet, drawings and parts list for the Selecta home workshop in posts #17, #24 and #25 of the closed thread on electric drills here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80891

According to page 6 of the instruction booket, Wolf and Bridges needed no adaptor, while B&D needed the adaptor plate. It seems that Selecta drills needed their own special adaptor. Dad only used B&D drills, early single speed and later dual-speed sander-polisher models, with his. He never bought the optional lathe attachment.

Last edited by emeritus; 9th Dec 2020 at 7:18 pm. Reason: Further comment, typos
Old 9th Dec 2020, 8:19 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Wolf and Bridges needed no adaptor
It looks very 'Bridges', it's even the right colour. There's a picture of mine in the 'show us your drills' thread if you have a look back.
Old 10th Dec 2020, 2:21 pm   #8
Goldie99
Heptode

Hi Philip - you have email.

I'll also scan the various Selecta brochures / manual, in case anyone else wants a copy.

Cheers, Alan
Old 10th Dec 2020, 3:54 pm   #9
Goldie99
Heptode

The various brochures & manuals for the Selecta Benchmaster, Selecta Homemaster, and, to keep it at least somewhat electrical... the Selecta 4500 Drill Brochure & Manual.

Selecta_Benchmaster.pdf
Selecta_Homemaster.pdf
Selecta_Homemaster_Guide.pdf
Selecta_4500_Drill.pdf
Selecta_4500_Drill_Manual.pdf

Alan
Closed Thread