UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2016, 5:49 pm   #361
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Vintage Christmas Tree lights

Alright, here's an obvious tip, but it took me a while to think of it!

I bought a new '80' set of bulbs last year, but they were rather close together which made the whole thing rather short. Also, they were wired in a ring (to go around a tree) rather than in a long string, and I hang them across some windows so a string is more useful.

So, I took one end out of the plug, folded it back on itself at the (now) 'furthest' bulb, and added some dark insulated multi-strand wire to make it back to the plug. Then I took the two ends which belong in the plug, put them in a drill chuck clamped to the kitchen worktop, and taped the 'furthest' bulb to a chair most of the way down the hallway to the front door. I could then turn the drill on slowly and walk down the string making sure it all twisted up nice and even.

I guess I should make sure I put the join on the N side, but it's well-made and insulated!

cheers
Mark
Old 7th Dec 2016, 9:28 pm   #362
8 Tracker
Hexode

I've been meaning to do that for years, but never quite got round to it. I find it much easier to put a string of lights on a tree rather than a loop. Haven't seen any strings available to buy for many years, I suppose it's cheaper to manufacture loops, no return wire needed.

All my lights are running on approx. 220v this year. I made up a couple of boxes with 240v to 12v*2 transformers connected in a bucking arrangement. Very pleased with the result. Both transformers are running cold, not much decrese in light output and hopefully a great increase in lamp life. LEDs just don't do it for me.

Very interesting graph about lamp life versus voltage here.

Mark.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 10:18 pm   #363
Oliver35
Pentode

What a great thread- I keep about 3 and a half sets of Pifco Merrylites on my tree (it's not gone up yet) -they remind me of putting up my Grandmother's tree when i was a child, and I figured the more sets I have, the longer I'll be able to keep them going for. Fortunately now the wondrous Internet means I can still get the 12v screw in miniature bulbs, although I find one in every ten or so is unusable due to being assembled crookedly. There was one black year hen I had to assemble my own bulbs from modern push-fit bulbs and reclaimed screw bases from blown bulbs.. I also now have a set of the old olive cone lights- these came with a box of figural bulbs, but sadly only one of them works. I'm not sure what to do with this set, although I feel they should see some use this Christmas!
Old 7th Dec 2016, 10:45 pm   #364
broadgage
Nonode

The 12 volt 1.1 watt LES bulbs are still readily available on ebay, as are 20 volt, 3 watt, MES lamps.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 11:29 pm   #365
silver ghost
Triode

I have a set of early Osram lights, I think they were bought in Germany well before WWII. The sockets and clips are rather durable quality, but the wiring isn't the best anymore. It looks like the actual wire is aluminium (!?), I was expecting copper. It has to be rewired if it's to be used, the woven cotton insulation is dubious, there's no rubber insulation layer under (which I thought was standard by then?). I'm not sure if the light chain can be revived, the clips and bulb sockets (E10) looks like they can be picked appart, but the holes and fittings for the wire are sealed with some type of resin or plastic.

Has anyone come across something similar?
Old 8th Dec 2016, 11:07 am   #366
broadgage
Nonode

I would be very surprised indeed if a set of Christmas lights was wired in aluminium wire.
Aluminium was sometimes used instead of copper for premises wiring and for street mains as an economy measure, the saving would not be worth the trouble for the short lengths of thin wire in Christmas lights.
Also, the connections to the lamp holders are probably soldered which is very challenging with aluminium.

Much more likely IMO to be tinned copper wire. Copper wire was often tinned to prevent a chemical reaction with sulphur from vulcanised india rubber insulation, or to ease soldering.

The lamp holder inserts are often held inside the outer part of the lamp holder by pitch, bitumen, resin or similar materials. This can sometimes be removed by melting with gentle and controlled heat, as in a thermostatically controlled electric oven. Take care as the material may be flammable.
Replacement twin twisted textile covered wire may be purchased on line for the restoring of old lightings, it is simple to untwist it and use for old Christmas lights.

Alternatively it may be possible to repair the existing insulation by binding with sewing thread and fixing this with PVA adhesive.

If there is any doubt about the quality of the insulation, then an isolating transformer is a wise precaution.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 11:39 am   #367
emeritus
Dekatron

I have converted a couple of my sets from loop to single ended, originally when extending an old 12-bulb Pifco set to 16, and later some newer coloured filament bulb sets, but wound the wire by hand. Present practice for mains sets seems to be to use wire with two layers of insulation. I couldn't find anyone selling such wire, but I have a couple of drums of high voltage-rated wire (600V) with thick insulation consisting of a white core and a coloured outer layer. I don't have any in green to match the original wires, so settled for red, which looks OK. I joined the wires with a small uninsulated crimp sleeve and covered the joint with three layers of heat-shrink sleeving, plus a smear of silicone rubber between the top two sleeves for good measure.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 12:22 pm   #368
paulsherwin

Anyone modifying mains Christmas lights should bear in mind that there are legal implications, even if the mods are well executed and completely safe. There may be problems with the insurance company if the worst happens.

On a more positive note, I can recommend keeping an eye open for old light sets at car boots, flea markets and the like. They often sell for pennies and are a great source of spare bulbs.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 12:47 pm   #369
Ian E G7OLT
Pentode

Tree from a few years ago. 7 sets of 12 x 20V 3W lamps run at 180V through an isolating transformer as the top set is from 1937 and uses cotton (only) covered flex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1481197204054.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	134047  
Old 8th Dec 2016, 7:46 pm   #370
Top Cap
Octode

LOL Memories of my Uncle Reg who made up strings of lights for us kids using 50V side contact GPO exchange lamps. Just a bit of insulating tape wrapped around the side contacts. Definitely a NO NO in the current H&S requirements!
Old 8th Dec 2016, 9:04 pm   #371
broadgage
Nonode

I can remember people using pilot lamps as Christmas lights, presumably because pilot lamps were available from work.

Sometimes the effect was rather miserable, but with the higher wattage lamps was better.
20 lamps in series, each of 12 volts was common.

Much more recently, RS components had 50 volt MES pilot lamps at a much reduced price, I purchased loads of them to use 5 in series on the mains in candle arch lights.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 9:51 pm   #372
McMurdo
Dekatron

Noma still do 40-lamp proper mains strings with traditional shades, google Pickwick or Canterbury Belles. They are just as rich and homely as they always were.
Old 8th Dec 2016, 10:08 pm   #373
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yeah, stocked up with spare push-in bulbs last year from NOMA. Some of the colours were sold out i seem to recall.

Top tip- when putting new bulbs in the copper tails should be brightened with a sandpaper nail file (previously referred to by me as a women's nail file- which now seems sexist)
Old 8th Dec 2016, 11:45 pm   #374
emeritus
Dekatron

I have had difficulty in getting coloured bulbs from local retailers for the last couple of years, but I get clear bulbs and paint them with transparent paints by Humbrol, Revell, and Tamiya that you can get in shops that sell plastic model kits. They are also good for reviving the colours of tired modern bulbs when they fade or their colour flakes off. Revell paints seem to be more resistant to the weather than Humbrol. The old Pifco 20V bulbs never seem to fade.
Old 9th Dec 2016, 12:22 am   #375
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
sandpaper nail file
It's called an emery board.

Useful in the toolkit if your purse doesn't stretch to a diamond coated spatula.
Old 9th Dec 2016, 12:37 am   #376
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I wonder if anybody can supply some info/pictures of a set of Christmas lights from many moons ago (I have looked through this forum and can't see anything about them).

From around the late 50's/early 60's, all I can remember of them is a Santa Claus head, Snowman and a Reindeer. There may have been something else but I don't recall it.

These were repeated in sequence a few times.

Possibly glass rather than plastic.

Terry
Old 9th Dec 2016, 12:58 am   #377
paulsherwin

Were these indoor tree lights? The old 12 lamp MES sets were sometimes made with fancy bulbs into the 1950s, including Santas and snowmen. I think they fell out of favour because they were expensive and obviously couldn't be repaired after blowing. There aren't many survivors now.

It must be really weird setting all this stuff up in the middle of summer
Old 9th Dec 2016, 10:10 am   #378
McMurdo
Dekatron

if you google 'figural christmas bulbs' you'll get plenty of examples. They have their collectors, and a complete set can make a fair sum. I like them as they're 'of their time' but would worry about a bulb blowing if I had a set. HWMBO has a few sets including prewar cotton-covered types.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fig.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	134078  
Old 9th Dec 2016, 10:58 am   #379
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

As a Christmas light collector myself I love this thread. My collection runs from the 1960`s onwards - I don`t have much in the way of big bulb sets like the ones pictured above. They are beautiful and I would like to get some more in the future. If anybody would like any photos of the ones I have I will gladly post them up here, always good to share!
Old 9th Dec 2016, 12:44 pm   #380
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Were these indoor tree lights?
Yes, indoor set.

The mind gets very fuzzy going that far back, but I 'think' the bulbs were replaceable in this particular set. Must ask Mum what she remembers (although her memory is not the best now).

I got out of setting up lights etc for this time of the year ages ago - it's just not right without the snow (and sleet and rain .......)

Thanks for the other replies, will follow the suggestions up.

Terry
Closed Thread