UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2011, 1:09 pm   #41
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Marconiphone 702 coming to auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
What does the vision switch actually do? Remove HT while keeping valve heaters on as a sort of "standby"?
Possibly, or it might just switch the EHT transormer, leaving the receiver and timebases powered. Except that it's unconnected in my set so I don't know. Difficult to tell if it was a factory fitment or not. Judging by the engraved plate it's not a modern addition.
Old 28th Mar 2011, 1:36 pm   #42
radiolot
Tetrode

The instruction manual interior shots are now uploaded. To make life a little easier, use this link to get straight to the lot in the sale:

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/19034/lot/1/

As you can see, the typed strips are additions, but from the same time as the manual was born. The foxing to the pages creeps over the strips evenly. The use of a very sharp razor blade to one corner reveals the standard printed text in the manual, although I am not taking the strips off to find out what they say. I used a very bright lightbulb and sure enough, the printing underneath is the 'correct' way around, instead of this way around.

Have fun.

Laurence
Old 28th Mar 2011, 4:06 pm   #43
draenog
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
What does the vision switch actually do? Remove HT while keeping valve heaters on as a sort of "standby"?
Possibly, or it might just switch the EHT transormer, leaving the receiver and timebases powered. Except that it's unconnected in my set so I don't know. Difficult to tell if it was a factory fitment or not. Judging by the engraved plate it's not a modern addition.
It's interesting to note that the newly scanned instruction manual shows only one switch (labelled mains switch).

Rob.
Old 28th Mar 2011, 7:12 pm   #44
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The high quality sound transmission on 41.5mc/s was originally thought to be wasted for the limited television transmissions and it was intended to transmit the National Radio programme at high quality before the days of the F.M. service. The idea was to transmit the National Programme on the television sound channel when vision transmissions were not taking place. A switch was provided to kill the timebases and EHT leaving the sound channel in operation. A number of early post were receivers also had this feature. Other than late night news broadcasts the idea never became a feature. J.
Old 28th Mar 2011, 11:04 pm   #45
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolot View Post
The instruction manual interior shots are now uploaded.

Laurence
Laurence, Thanks very much for reproducing the handbook contents.

Much appreciated,

Peter
Old 29th Mar 2011, 2:18 am   #46
draenog
Tetrode

I would like to second that. I found the instruction manual a very interesting read.

Rob.

P.S. I picked up some EMI documents on eBay recently. I haven't mentioned them before because I have little time to scan and post-process them, but if anybody desperately wants to see them, I'll try and get them scanned.

1. Colour brochure for Marconiphone 701 (1936)
2. Instruction manual for HMV 903 (1938)
3. Technical circular No.36, supplement 10, Marconiphone 704, HMV 903 (26/4/37)
4. Spare parts list for 704 & 903 (presumably part of supplement 10)
5. Technical circular No.36, supplement 10A, circuit diagrams for above (28/5/37)
6. 3 (original) copies of voltage & current readings for HMV 903 (24/6/38, signature and date 17/6/38)
7. Service sheet for Marconiphone 709 & HMV 907 (Nov 1938) (with tracing paper overlay showing signal paths)
8. Service manual for Marconiphone 706,707 & HMV 904,905 (Jan 1939)
9. Two photostat copies of Service sheet for Marconiphone 702, HMV 901 (Sept 1938).

2) & 5) Have stamp of "Radio Branch, Dollis Hill".
7) has stamp of "P.O. Television Laboratory, Wembley".
One of (6) has embossed stamp of the coat of arms.
9) have stamp of "Post Office Laboratories, Palace of Engineering, Wembley", but this looks to be copied. One has written in pencil "Room 31 W/D Branch, Dollis Hill".

Last edited by Dave Moll; 29th Mar 2011 at 11:31 am. Reason: unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed
Old 29th Mar 2011, 9:25 am   #47
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by draenog View Post
if anybody desperately wants to see them, I'll try and get them scanned.
I would love copies of anything on the 703, 706 and 709 (costs met etc.). I'm quite happy to clean them up using photoshop and make the cleaned versions available - better than playing solitaire on the computer!
Old 29th Mar 2011, 11:20 am   #48
draenog
Tetrode

Hi Brian,

Nothing on the 703 unfortunately. The 706 manual seems to be identical to the 1954 reprint already available (I wanted to see the foldout circuit diagram in it's entirety, rather than split over 3 pages in the 1954 scan; I can try to rescan this better, or failing that take a high resolution photo). I'll also get the 709/907 info scanned as soon as possible (probably the weekend).

Rob.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 29th Mar 2011 at 11:32 am. Reason: please DO NOT keep quoting the immediately preceding post in full
Old 29th Mar 2011, 11:23 am   #49
draenog
Tetrode

P.S. I have little processing software as I run Linux. As you've offered, can I just send you the raw scans (as JPEGs) and let you do the rest?

Last edited by Dave Moll; 29th Mar 2011 at 11:33 am. Reason: see edit reason on previous post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 4:17 pm   #50
radiolot
Tetrode

No problem gentlemen - That's what's great about my job; it also happens to be my hobby. Bonhams pay me to enjoy myself - rock on!
If anyone would like to receive the raw 702 manual scans directly to their email address, please ring me or email me
0207 393 3984 or laurence.fisher@bonhams.com
and I will gladly send them. I've also got that invoice scanned of course, and with a bit of photoshoping, one can alter the name (hint, hint.)

If you come to the view armed with a laptop, scanner, camera and/or AVO, you will be most welcome to copy anything you want.

In exchange for a beer in the pub next door.

Viewing reminder - Starts from 11am-3pm on Sunday 17th April.

Laurence
Old 29th Mar 2011, 6:24 pm   #51
brianc
Rest in Peace

Hi Rob
Please for the 709 scans. I'll PM you with my email address.

Hi Laurence - yes please for the raw scans of the 702 info. You have my email address.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 7:34 am   #52
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

Default The oldest TV set in Britain

In the Daily Mail today... 1936, the Marconi type-702
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-hammer.html
Old 4th Apr 2011, 7:50 am   #53
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The oldest TV set in Britain

BTW, I'm pretty sure that this set is older than mine, which won the Digital UK competition in 2009.

Last edited by Station X; 4th Apr 2011 at 12:10 pm. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 8:57 am   #54
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: The oldest TV set in Britain

Journalist Gets Confused by History

"Unfortunately for the original owner, three days after he bought it the Crystal Palace burned down and that was where the transmitter was"

Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:32 pm   #55
radiolot
Tetrode

Quote:: Journalist Gets Confused by History

"Unfortunately for the original owner, three days after he bought it the Crystal Palace burned down and that was where the transmitter was"

yes, what one submits to the press and what one sees in print are two different matters. Still, at least anyone who is missed off the list for any reason who needs to see this and have the opportunity to view and buy it, should now be informed of its location and date.

Laurence
Old 4th Apr 2011, 5:11 pm   #56
brianc
Rest in Peace

It's strange that both the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph report that the transmitter was burned down. It sounds as though thew press release was wrong, not the journalists! Baird had a fire in his studios at Crystal Palace - was this where the confusion arose?
Old 4th Apr 2011, 6:54 pm   #57
peter_scott
Dekatron

He also had a transmitter at Crystal Palace although not relevant to the BBC transmissions but no doubt reporters put two and two together because it made a good story.

Peter
Old 5th Apr 2011, 8:12 am   #58
radiolot
Tetrode

Yes, they have proved 2 + 2 = 83.69. Anyways, on with the preparation for the sale. I shall be getting this baby ready for its journey from the warehouse to the gallery at Knightsbridge today.

To those who have asked for the high-res scans of the booklet, I hope you can reproduce it well to accompany your set(s).
As a reminder, I have also a res-high scan of the invoice - if at any time you would like these scans, please do ask and I shall send. Image these printed out on old-stock paper, made into a booklet then left in a damp basement for a while - cool!

Laurence
Old 5th Apr 2011, 10:17 am   #59
richrussell
Heptode

'The Register' also just copied the story about Crystal Palace - but some of us from here have put them right about the fact that the equipment was already moved and operational at Ally Pally by then.
Old 6th Apr 2011, 12:34 pm   #60
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Five off-topic posts concerning legal/safety issues have been removed. I think it's reasonable to assume that a professional auction house such as Bonhams has covered the legal considerations of selling items.

Let's keep the thread on-topic.