UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2017, 11:18 am   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Avometer 8 Mk 6

Hi All

I have an avometer 8 Mk 6 that wont zero on the x1 or x10 but on x100 it will.

I have cleaned terminals on battery and contacts but no difference. A search of the net tells me that the contacts on the switch selectors can tarnish and will need cleaning. I have dismantled and had a quick look but the dissasembly of the switch mechanisms looks daunting. Has anyone else had this fault and rectified it?

Cheers

Mike
Old 16th Nov 2017, 12:11 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Avometer 8 Mk 6

Does it read at all on the x1 and x10?

The switch contacts are quite easy to check with a meter, but if they need a clean, you shouldn't need to take it apart to do it. There's a wiper contact underneath at the front and towards the back it's a contact which bridges two parts of the pcb, access to it is quite good and easy to check.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 1:25 pm   #3
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi Sinewave

It does read, however it will not zero on those two scales, i, have also cleaned the fuse and holder and squirted some contact cleaner in the zero'ing pots but still wont zero, exercising the rotary switches makes no difference either.
Old 17th Nov 2017, 7:11 pm   #4
Sinewave
Octode

Is it reading significantly high? What reading do you get when shorting lead to lead? I wonder if it's out of calibration.
Closed Thread