UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:12 am   #1
MattCar
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp Record Player SG-320E. Speaker cable?

Hi,

I've just bought a Sharp SG-320E, which needs external speakers.

Unfortunately, the manual does not give me any idea what speaker cable to use!

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:21 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Sharp Record Player SG-320E. Speaker cable?

Any good quality twin flex will be OK. Maplin, CPC, and other component suppliers stock speaker cable, although CPC only sell it in full reels (AFAIK). Suitable cable may also be found on eBay. As SHARP used DIN Speaker sockets on their music centres, wp cables of suitable length, prefitted with DIN Speaker plugs may be the best way to go. If you don't have the original speakers, almost any pair of speakers will do Sharp output stages were 4 ohm impedance, but 6 or 8 ohm speakers can be used instead.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 12:23 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Hi Fi Audio cable is often quite thick in section e.g. 69 strands, but as you have to use DIN connectors you will need thinner than that, maybe 42 strand.
It might be best to get them already made up. Only buy the length you need, not overly long.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 3:20 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

0.5mm² twin mains flex (16/0.2) will be adequate for most purposes.

You can get "proper" speaker cable (42/0.2 or 79/0.2), but it's probably overkill unless you want to push hundreds of watts over tens of metres.
Old 11th Apr 2017, 6:44 pm   #5
PsychMan
Octode

As others have stated near enough anything will do.

My dad was a sound engineer in the 1970s, he used to say "half the time we'd use bell wire or whatever was to hand, nobody noticed!"
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 7:00 pm   #6
junkers88
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Matt, yeah, as others have stated twin flex from Maplins did me fine. I have just bought EXACTLY the same stereo system as yours but sadly without an instruction manual. Is there anyway I could request a copy of it from you? I'll willingly pay reasonable amount mate, just need the damn thing!!
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 11:19 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hello and welcome,
Matt hasn't returned to the Forum since his first post, but if you click on his username you can send him an email with your request.
Closed Thread