UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2007, 7:58 pm   #1
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Can anyone identify this TV?

From the magical "Special Branch series 1" DVD box set!

Lovely switch off too- a slowly decreasing square!

Lovely!

I suspect it's some sort of cable tv, possibly Rediffusion? I can't make out the brand though.

Any ideas?

Brian R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Special branch TV set.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	8573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Branch tv2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	8574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Branch tv3.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	8575  
Old 6th Mar 2007, 9:30 am   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Can Anyone Identify This TV?

I had relatives who had a similar set at the time, the right buttons were switches to select 625 or 405 lines. There was also a red pilot light above the on-off switch. Not quite the same model as the attachments show though.

A feature was the ability to hear the TV or radio sound through the TV speaker just by selecting the knob to channel A or whatever.

Who actually made these sets? There's an obvious brand name on the set on the attachments, but it's doesn't appear to be Rediffusion.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 27th Nov 2007 at 8:52 am. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 10:52 am   #3
CanonMan
Retired Dormant Member

It looks like one of the TV sets our family had when I was a nipper.

I think it was called a Rediffusion Pembroke. Dunno who built it, though...
Old 11th Mar 2007, 10:06 pm   #4
Focus Diode
Octode

The famed tv turns up again, this time in "Public Eye", (Superb Network DVD- totally unedited)Colourstar has been in touch to confirm it is a Rediffusion, and this model also turns up in "On The Buses" as well.

Obviously due to limitations the quality isn't as good as on the DVD (from 2" B&W 625-line VT), but by the look of it the "REDIFFUSION" has been crossed out on the front(!). Below this is "television", in lower case lettering.

As to who actually manufactured these sets and circuit design, anyone know?

Cheers,
Brian R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Public Eye 4-4 1969 tv.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	8693  
Old 11th Mar 2007, 11:18 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Rediffusion designed and made made their own sets for many years. They were used by their cable TV network customers (on the twisted pair distribution network). They also made normal "off air" sets for their retail/rental shops.

In addition, they also made some sets for others, such as the Bush model TM121 (for the Rediffusion cable TV system), circa 1962. Their sets also appeared under the "Top Rank" brand - they were in my old secondary school in the 1960s, when a wired radio/sound/public address system was installed in all classrooms.

The last sets made by Rediffusion were their Mark 4A colour sets, circa 1985.
At that time, they closed their manufacturing operations (at Bishop Auckland, in the North East), design centre in Chessington and sold the shops to Granada TV Rental.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 12th Mar 2007, 9:06 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I remember the "Doric" branded Rediffusion mono valve TVs - ISTR they actually designed and made them. Lots of through holes with DJs on the double-sided PCBs.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 9:16 am   #7
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Rediffusion MK10/11 cable set. Model no 2T2300/2311.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:39 am   #8
standing wave
Pentode

Yes the set in question was a MK10, they were used for general purpose monitoring at both Thames TV and LWT.

There was also an off-air version, fitted with a turret tuner for VHF 405 and 4 push buttons for UHF. They were not very reliable sets, lots of dry joints and scorched panels. All the main panels were plug-ins with system switching done by bowden cables.

The sets came in both 19 and 23 inch screens, and when they were working the picture quality was fairly good. In the mid seventies a number of the sets were rebuilt by Rediffusion; the system switch was removed and a new cabinet, plus 20 inch tube fitted. In the Redihire, South London region of Rediffusion, these sets were branded as 'Thames'.

I don't think many of these were made, as the MK 12 was in full production by this time.

Terry.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 27th Nov 2007 at 8:55 am. Reason: Breathless! White space and punctuation added.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 5:11 pm   #9
Focus Diode
Octode

Fascinating! Thanks for all your replies. I know relatives had a similar but not identical set in the late '60s, early '70s. It was replaced by a colour cable set, presumably with the hybrid Mk1 colour chassis, which remained in use until the service closed down in the eatrly 1980s.

I was fascinated to learn some were branded "THAMES", especially in view of the Rediffusion connection. LWT of course took over the Wembley studios initially as well!

Cheers again!
Brian
Old 12th Mar 2007, 5:20 pm   #10
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The model which was named Thames had nothing to do with Thames Television. Most Rediffusion mono cable sets were named after rivers/cities. Cheers
Old 13th Mar 2007, 12:41 pm   #11
standing wave
Pentode

I don't know the reasoning behind the Thames branding, but there was the connection between Thames Television and Rediffusion, who were the original shareholders, along with ABC television.

All Thames TV employees got the same staff discount as Rediffusion employees when they rented from Rediffusion.

I was trying to remember the names of some of the other sets Rediffusion had, but the only one that comes to hand is the Bush 19" 161, which was numbered a 191 and given the name 'York'.

Terry.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 27th Nov 2007 at 8:58 am. Reason: As #8
Closed Thread