UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2019, 8:14 pm   #21
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: Real versus fake 2N3819 JFETS

Too true. A prime example of this is the radio kit HX108-2 with its dodgy parts, each of which must be tested individually and often replaced with one's own components. Add to that mistakes in the circuit diagram compounded with poor design. Enough to put off even experienced users from playing with radio circuits and suchlike.
Old 11th Mar 2019, 8:53 pm   #22
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Fitting "Bought-off-eBay" parts into gear where I'm billing the client £45/hour for my time and experience makes no sense. Hobbyists may be prepared to chance it because they're not paying for rework-time or loss-of-reputation.
I agree 100% if you are just out to "nickel & dime" but if the only source is eBay / UTsource (etc) the choice becomes refusing the work (and most likley condemning article to "recycling") or taking a chance. In such circumstances a good long hard soak test is the order of the day ! The few times I've used these people has resulted in successful repairs and no "bounces" within the warranty period but it will always be a solution of last resort !
Old 11th Mar 2019, 9:06 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post

As said above, faking 2N3819's just wouldn't appear to be a profitable pastime.
We thought that about fake mains fuses but we still see them...