UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:00 pm   #1
stuie319
Pentode

Default GEC 1748 EHT (or lack thereof)

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me the number of the EHT rectifier in this set? The number has rubbed of the one in mine and i fear it needs a new 'un. Basically theres no EHT, while the line osc is very much alive. The line output valve on this set was cracked at the base, and although the getter hadn't whitened there was no activity at the anode. Two new valves later (the first arrived with the heater o/c) and I can draw a healthy spark from the cap, and another (albeit less healthy looking) from the output of the EHT overwind on the loptx, but beggar all from the output of the rectifier. While peering at it to try and establish whether the heaters were alight i could see theres some small amount of internal arcing going on in it, thus i can't tell if i've really got heaters or not (its pretty much half encapsulated). I'm minded to change the reccy first of all, while hoping the lopty isnt stuffed! the overwind seems to be running cool....

Any thoughts greatly appreciated as ever

Regards,
Stu
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:08 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: GEC 1748 EHT (or lack thereof)

Hi, According to the 1956/7 R+TV servicing book, The EHT rectifier in the GEC BT1748 is a U45. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:11 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

What are the other two valves in there, and is it a B9A, Octal or wire ended EHT rectifier. When about is the set?

Then I should be able to work out the EHT Rectifier for you. Unrectified EHT should jump about an inch or so, and a cool EHT overwind is either OK or open circuit.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:23 pm   #4
stuie319
Pentode

Thanks Mick and Steve,

The set is dated 1956 or thereabouts, the rectifier is wire ended.
Whats worrying is the unrectified EHT seems quite weak, certainly not enough to jump an inch, whereas the spark from the anode of the N339 line output is much healthier. The fact that its there suggests the overwind can't be o/c, worst case scenario is that its got shorted turns of course.

Regards
Stu
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:26 pm   #5
stuie319
Pentode

Steve
You asked about the other two valves, I forgot to add the boost diode is U329

Stu
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:41 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Got the set up now. It is a U45 by the way! Get a new one, put it in, and see what happens....

There's not a lot else it can be apart from the LOPT, as the Line Drive sounds OK. Just check that it's on the right frequency if you can, you can hear 10 kHz or there abouts.

You could try swapping C55 and L23 I suppose. L23 will probably be OK, and C55 could cause a problem.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 28th Feb 2007, 9:52 pm   #7
stuie319
Pentode

Disconnected the U45 anode, and can now draw about an inch from the output of the lopt winding, this is encouraging, ok-its off load, but I feel more hopeful that the lopt is servicable. I'll go ordering a new diode.

Thanks chaps!

Regards
Stu
Old 28th Feb 2007, 11:15 pm   #8
Danny
Heptode

Hi
I hope I'm wrong, but try just disconnecting the anode cap from the crt to see if the rectified eht improves.
If it does, then your tube is soft.
(Not uncommon on gec sets).
Danny

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 9:24 am. Reason: Legibility
Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:54 am   #9
stuie319
Pentode

Danny,

I hadn't thought of that. OK, I had thought of it and said naaaaaa; I'm not that unlucky....Then I thought of it again. You could have been absolutely right. Which would be worse?
Duff CRT...could be replaced and modified, but well outside my experience of valve kit.
Duff loptx? easy to change but where's the new one?
I took the CRT anode cap off and ran it up.
Lots of big arcy sparky plasma effect stuff on the reccy anode, great fun; nowt on the cathode.
It's gotta be worth a new rectifier, the loptx is lively enough and the tube wasnt decking the EHT, for now at least, let's live in hope

Regards
Stu

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 9:27 am. Reason: Legibility
Old 1st Mar 2007, 10:38 pm   #10
Danny
Heptode

It does sound like the rec is soft.
If you haven't got a rec you could use a stick rectifier to check the set. Danny

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 9:28 am. Reason: Legibility
Old 16th Mar 2007, 2:24 pm   #11
stuie319
Pentode

Hi All,

I aquired a new U45, but only just got around to fitting it, my 'workshop/spare room/ office' being out of commission after a small decorating job turned up loads of hidden damp and has become a major episode The good news is, a nice bright raster appeared, albeit with frame collapse. So thus far the CRT is servicable, and the loptx lives .
Now is the time to aquire the circuit, but its encouraging so far.

Regards
Stu
Old 16th Mar 2007, 3:50 pm   #12
Steve_P
Dekatron

Great stuff! Right - Frame stages are V16 and V17. For the record,

N329 = PL82
LN309 = PCL83

The PCL83 tended to be a bit unreliable in my experience.

For the circuit, and loads of others, try Duke Nukem's Vintage TV Service Data CD-Rom. Available thruogh his site : www.thevalvepage.com

Cheers,

Steve P