UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2007, 6:38 pm   #1
lesterboy
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Handsome TV - Sobell SC35

As I am a retired carpenter, I have often been tempted to gut it and make a nice drinks cupboard/bookcase/toolbox etc. etc. Luckily my dear wife has far more foresight than I have. She has managed to curtail my destructive urges and has kept it as a nice piece of furniture, happily fitting in perfectly under the open tread staircase.
As can be seen by the photographs it is in remarkable condition, inside and out. I don’t know whether it works, as I have not got the gear needed to flash it up to receive 625 line transmissions. I have not got a user manual or catalogue, but would like to get hold of one if anybody has one. Even a few good quality scans would be acceptable. Any information about the set would be welcome. There are some Photostats of the circuitry, but they don’t mean a lot to me, I am a strictly “wooden-top” guy.

There are two very minor flaws on the cabinet. The first is on the end panel, there is a very fine crack in the lacquer 5cm from the front edge (see picture) not really noticeable is it? The second is a dink to the left of the screen on the front corner/vertical; once again you need pretty good eyesight to find it. The back panel is absolutely straight and true.
It has never been outdoors apart from transit between saleroom and home, which is a non-smoking establishment and probably accounts for its condition.

Nev.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front view 1.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	8594   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear open 1.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	8595   Click image for larger version

Name:	end view.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	8596   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear panel.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	8597  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 3:18 pm. Reason: White space and more meaningful title
Old 6th Mar 2007, 6:40 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Handsome TV's

Is having the speaker and knobs to the left of the screen very unusual? At first glance I though the pictures were back to front.
Old 6th Mar 2007, 6:49 pm   #3
lesterboy
Retired Dormant Member

That's how they are, as you can see by the open back shot. All is as original.

Nev.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 3:19 pm. Reason: S&P
Old 6th Mar 2007, 7:41 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I much prefer this as a telly than as anything else; for if it was gutted it would become yet another mid 20th century mediocre piece of furniture, but as a telly it's a fine rare example of mid 60s television design. It is an unusual layout too!

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 20th Nov 2007 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 6th Mar 2007, 10:35 pm   #5
Dr-Watts
Heptode

WOW MAN !

This is superb, absolutely superb.
Well done to the wife for saving this brilliant telly

The Dr.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 6th Mar 2007 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Removed unnecessary Comic Sans font
Old 7th Mar 2007, 4:46 pm   #6
Focus Diode
Octode

What a beautiful set! I recognise the chassis- the first GEC dual std chassis with a PY33 HT rectifier. I used to have a McMichael MT762 DST version with this chassis. Direct sync was employed but could be converted to flywheel sync with the addition of a plug in panel. Nevertheless the performance at direct sync is incredible! 625 on 405 lines was a locked narrow picture, even VCR recordings on a machine with a servo fault locked!

I think the Sobell version is an ST195, GEC BT544(?). Data can be found in the 1962-3 edition of "Radio and TV Servicing".

Cheers,
Brian R
Old 8th Mar 2007, 12:53 am   #7
stuie319
Pentode

Gut it? report to the office!
Thats a lovely thing to own, it really is. I'd be willing to bet a minimum amount of effort would return it to service. Fantastic

Stu
Old 8th Mar 2007, 4:00 am   #8
evingar
Octode

I agree with all comments, a truly magnificent "Joe 90 era" bit of equipment
Old 8th Mar 2007, 2:12 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
How many engineers on this forum shudder and hide growling in the corner at the words 'cocktail cabinet'?
Nice set - but doesn't it look odd being 'backwards'?!
Glyn
Old 8th Mar 2007, 5:57 pm   #10
lesterboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Handsome Tv 2.

I am rather new to this forum and learning as I go along, not so easy when you're a silver-haired wrinkly wooden top. I have found a new way (to me) to show the pictures of this great set, go to http://picasaweb.google.com/neville.marlow
where I have been able to show more shots. Also an aerial I picked up at the same auction is on show there.
regards
Nev.
Closed Thread