UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2015, 5:49 pm   #1
deliverance
Heptode

Default Racal RA153 information

Hi All, I have just acquired a Racal RA153 dual receiver, and I can't find anything on the web about it. No manuals or anything for that matter.
If anyone has any information regarding this receiver I would be very grateful, thanks.
Old 19th Jul 2015, 8:00 pm   #2
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Re: Racal RA153 information

Hi,
You obviously like really big toys!!
Do you just have the receiver or do you also have the matching power supply?
The receiver is effectively 2x RA117 sharing common 1st and 2nd local oscillators so that the two receivers are tuned to the same frequency. The gain distribution and phase shift is made the same in both receive chains and there is a rather complicated RF/IF gain control which ensures that the overall gain in the two receive chains remains equal at all settings of the gain control and AGC.
If you have the RA153A it will have a single audio output switchable between the two receive chains, the RA153B has two audio outputs one for each receive chain.
The receiver was designed for use in Direction Finding installations and there is a range of additional units which make up ma complete DF system.
I have some very limited information (spec and block diagram) which I can let you have if you PM me your email address.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 19th Jul 2015, 8:05 pm   #3
deliverance
Heptode

Default Re: Racal RA153 information

Hi Peter , Thanks for your reply pm on its way ..
Closed Thread