UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2017, 2:05 pm   #1
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Default Radio Rentals R216

I have this lovely “Art Deco” looking Radio Rentals R216 that we have now put into regular use in our dining room on a local MW station (its the only radio in my collection that the wife likes the look of!)

It is generally working well with all the usual caps replaced, but a couple of problems have arisen. Every now and again there is a loud “POP” from the speaker, independent of the volume setting. I did notice that when it pops the normally dim dial lamps (in series with the valve heaters) flash brighter, suggesting that the heater current has momentarily increased?

Another problem is that the audio seems to become very slightly distorted after running for an hour or so. Could this be the UL41 running into grid current?

The chassis appears to be a Baird 208

Ted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RR216.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	141990  
Old 2nd May 2017, 3:44 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Rentals R216

It is possible that it is, yes. UL41's are known for it Even after you have changed THAT capacitor.

Check bulb sockets, valve sockets and position of any wiring. This could be the UL41 as well as they take a high voltage and there could be an intermittent short in the valve.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd May 2017, 6:48 am   #3
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Thanks.
The bulb and valve sockets seem fine, and wiring is in good condition. I have rummaged through my box of old valves that was "buried" in the garage, and have located what appears to be a NOS UL41 !
I will fit that later today and see what occurs.

Ted.
Old 3rd May 2017, 1:29 pm   #4
peter_sol
Octode

could be the UY41 flashing over intermittently
Old 4th May 2017, 6:37 am   #5
ted_ntsx
Pentode

I have now replaced the UL41 and the UY41.
Ran it for a few hours and heard one loud "Pop", but of course MW is always prone to such noises so it could have been external. It's only if I am actually watching that I can see the bulbs flash brighter when it "pops".

I will run it again today and see what occurs.

Looking more closely at the circuit, it seems that the bulbs are in the mains return line, not just in the heater chain, so any increase in HT current would also increase the current through the bulbs, so could another possibility be arcing inside the smoothing capacitors (which are original) ?

Ted.
Old 4th May 2017, 10:12 am   #6
peter_sol
Octode

unlikely to be smoothing caps
Old 4th May 2017, 1:45 pm   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Bulbs in radios were often under run to extend their life. When you get a pop it will draw a little more current form the mains, as the bulbs are not at full temperature any slight disturbance in the voltage will cause a visible change in brightness.
I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.
Old 4th May 2017, 1:54 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

The pop and the bulbs glowing brighter at the same time could be a heavy load switching off on the mains supply.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread