UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2017, 11:56 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Tuning cord on Beomaster 2000

This is the second one of these with the same problem except in this case the little pulleys were missing.

What happens is that due to fatigue, the plastic section which holds the tuning cord pulley, breaks up with the effect that the pulley comes away and gets lost.

My solution to this was to use a plastic M3 5mm spacers. Place the spacer onto an M3 screw and hold it place with a threaded spacer. Put the threaded part of the spacer in the chuck of a drill and with a saw blade or knife cut a grove in the plastic spacer.

Now for the first spacer and the one that normally fails at the edge of the tuning plate where the metal bar is:

Cut out the plastic where the pillar had failed so that it is flat with the main plastic panel.

Drill a 2.5mm hole in the place where the original pillar was. Use a 3mm drill to drill the plastic only and tap the metal under it with an M3 tap.

Using an M3 20mm screw, put the plastic spacer on the screw, then put an M3 5mm threaded spacer on it but do not tighten it. The plastic spacer must be free to rotate.

Now screw the assembly through the plastic and onto the metal that you've just tapped. Tighten the assembly but ensure the plastic spacer is free to rotate so use a pair of pliers on the metal threaded spacer to tighten up the screw.

With the second one which shouldn't really need doing, drill a 3mm hole in the plastic near where the original pillar was and use a nut underneath to secure the screw and threaded spacer.

The picture show the end result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	141895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	141896  

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd May 2017, 9:56 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Tuning cord on Beomaster 2000

These receivers have a very odd arrangement for powering the lamps. it requires the tuning bar lamp to be working to power the on and MPX lamps, but the manual doesn't give any details of what that bulb should be.

I decided to slightly modify the circuit.

I bypassed R2 & removed R4 and Zener D1.

I fitted a 7812 regulator on the heatsink with the input going to the 26V and the output to the 12V line. I then connected the dial lamp across that 12V rail. The tuning lamps were left alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beomaster 2000.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	142011  

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread