UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2019, 12:37 pm   #1
tim.norris
Hexode

Default Heathkit IT-12 Signal Tracer

I purchased this from across the pond last year as they seem to be somewhat rare over here and therefore tend to command high prices . The only problem being that it is 110v this was negated by the purchase of a 240/110 converter from the Maplins closure sale for a bargain price. On arrival it was found to be in reasonable condition cosmetically apart from the grille cloth had turned to dust . a wrong knob and the probes red tip was in a poor state . Internally it was very clean and someone had made a good job of wiring /assembly . I swopped out various out of tolerance resistors and the capacitor to the output tube a.12ca5 was replaced. I intended to restuff the smoothing capacitor but i ended up having to leave off the alloy cover due to a miscalculation on my part ! I didn`t like the idea of the probe lead traioling over the bench so swopped this out for a bnc connector .easily reversible. Forum member David G4EBT kindly turned a new probe end cap from a piece of Acetal rod i provided . The probe was rebuilt with a new ceramic capacitor installed and the diode tested ok and a new length of 50ohm rg58 coax terminated with a bnc connector. a new power cable fitted and two similair knobs from Cricklewood electronics which were a good fit on the imperial shafts .While shopping in Aldi (other supermarkets are available) i spotted some Aida cloth used for cross stich embroidary that looked perfect for the speaker grille cloth .Its quite stiff and perfect for sticking to the remaining grille frame. On power up the unit worked well apart from the magic eye a 1629 valve was like me not very bright ! and some strange intermittent rustling/crackling noises when the volume was increased. A replacement 1629 was obtained and after a lot of head scratching the noise fault turned out to be a badly microphonic 12Ax7 dual triode valve which was replaced with a nos russian equivelant .These are used in guitar amps and are getting somewhat expensive. Reasembled and cleaned it not only looks well but works well . Next up is a Heathkit capacitor tester . Regards Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	181335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0027.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	181336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	181337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0032.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	181338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0029.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	181339  

Old 14th Apr 2019, 7:00 pm   #2
LyntonP
Hexode

Default Re: Heathkit IT-12 Signal Tracer

Excellent job. Well done.
Lynton
Old 14th Apr 2019, 9:44 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Indeed. Nice to see a good heathkit restoration.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 9:12 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Excellent end result Tim - well worth the effort.

I was pleased to have been able to play a small part in the restoration by making a small part for the probe! Knowing that the dimensions of the tip would have been imperial, initially when I sketched the tip I started measuring in imperial but soon gave that up. (13/16, 7/8", 1/4", 11/16" etc). Made me realise how convenient it is to work in metric.

Can't help wondering how the original tip met its fate - it looked like it had been 'fried'!

Always a joy to restore Heathkit equipment - I won't be alone in saying that back in its heyday, I often longed to buy several of the kits, but they were always just out of reach price-wise. Now that they aren't, we get the pleasure of restoring, owning and using the equipment. I often wonder what proportion were built from kits or were bought ready made. The build quality can be variable, which might be a clue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heathkit Probe Tip red Acetal.png
Views:	138
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	181367   Click image for larger version

Name:	New & old tip.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	181368   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Tip on probe case.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	181369  
Old 15th Apr 2019, 9:23 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

Nice job with the probes.

Totally agree. I was young and broke. The moment I got money I spent it on hedonism. Next thing I know Heathkit were gone. Bummer! I have restored an RF-1U, IM-13U, IB-1100, IP-2817, GD-1U, V7-AU in the last year or two. I will do a post or two about these when I get a few minutes. I've been lucky - all mine were well constructed so far (apart from the IB-1100 which was initially well constructed but someone committed a few crimes in it when the crystal stopped working): https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=136242
Closed Thread