UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2009, 9:04 pm   #21
Ambassador
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GPO 746 conversion HELP!!???!!

I do see why Andrew suggested not being tempted to leave the phone wired this way as you're potentially side-stepping a bigger problem that exists elsewhere, if you're Master socket is at fault you really ought not to ignore that.

I was mererly curious as to whether implementing this as a long term fix was a bad idea for any other reason, EG could cause damage to the instrument. My curiosity has been sufficently satisfied, thanks your input chaps.

This is a useful troubleshooting tip to have in the arsenal.

Ambassador
Old 11th Nov 2009, 10:12 am   #22
PWH
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
PWH:

If you needed to leave this/these link(s) in situ, there is possibly something wrong with the wiring in your house, or the blue wire in the line cord

Nick.
Yes I thought that and got BT to test to the master socket. They said it was OK. I also checked my house wiring at the time and that appeared OK. It would be interesting to see if what I did fixes CletusVandamme's problem. Maybe he has the same fault?? If there is one.

IF BT had reversed A + B wires at the pole end would that make a difference??

What is the consequence of leaving the phone like this apart from leaving the fault?
What would happen if a phone converted this way was put onto a 'fault free' system?

I can't imagine that 2 phones both has blue wire problems??

I do have microfilters in all the secondary sockets maybe that is a problem

Thanks
Old 11th Nov 2009, 11:29 am   #23
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH View Post
'IF BT had reversed A + B wires at the pole end would that make a difference??'
None at all. What would make a difference is if your extension wiring was not contiguous, ie: terms. 2, 3 and 5 from your master LJU should go to terms. 2, 3 and 5 in ALL extensions. If one extension has terms. 2 and 5 reversed WRT the other extensions, you'll get ringer problems.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Mar 2010, 9:30 pm   #24
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

A question on obtaining terminal straps has been moved to here.
Closed Thread