UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2014, 5:01 pm   #1
vic0239
Tetrode

Default Help fitting a GPO 706 Watch Receiver

Hello.

I recently acquired a Watch Receiver with the intention of connecting it up to one of my GPO 706 telephones, but I am unsure how the cord is supposed to exit the telephone. There doesn't appear to be a bespoke position to insert the cord. I've seen a couple of photos of a 706 with one fitted, but the cord just appears to come from under the case. Before I ruin a favourite phone, can anyone offer guidance?

Many thanks ... Andy.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 10:22 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Help fitting a GPO 706 Watch Receiver

I have just looked at my 746 phone which is fitted with a watch receiver, and at the 746 in my office. Also looked at a 706. On all these phones there is a hole - or provision for one - on the base about half an inch from the back right hand corner, looking at the phones from the back where the cables to the line and handset come out. The cable to the watch receiver on my 746 as fitted with one comes out of this hole. The watch receiver cable has two cotton tie cords that are intended to be fixed to something inside the phoen to provide suitable "strain relief" for the cable. The hole may require drilling through or a "knock out" piece removing to pass the watch receiver cable through.

The watch receiver hangs on a bracket that on the 746 fiits into the "handle recess" and is fixed by a single screw, provision being made for this in the case. I think the bracket for the 706 type phone replaces one of the case fixing plates that sit around the black button pushed down by the receiver when it is on rest.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 10:25 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Some info here, but no connection details: http://www.britishtelephones.com/recwat8t.htm
I would guess that the cable exits underneath the rear of the phone, and has a clip to hold it in place.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 10:26 am   #4
vic0239
Tetrode

Thanks to both for your replies.

On closer examination of the base there is indeed a small circular indication of where it should be possible to pass the cable through. It looks as if it was partially punched out but is proving stubborn, so perhaps I'll need to drill it out.

I have the bracket and the cable is how you describe so assembly will be the easy part! I understand it is just wired in parallel with the handset receiver.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Andy.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 12:32 pm   #5
vic0239
Tetrode

Success, but the base is VERY sturdy and not at all yielding! I attached the two tie cords to a spare terminal screw so nice and secure and working. Here are a couple of pics to show end result.

Many thanks. Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	706Watch 416.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	89702   Click image for larger version

Name:	706Watch 415.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	89703  
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 1:18 pm   #6
bobbyball
Octode

Excellent work!
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 4:40 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic0239 View Post
On closer examination of the base there is indeed a small circular indication of where it should be possible to pass the cable through. It looks as if it was partially punched out but is proving stubborn, so perhaps I'll need to drill it out.
I think it is a case (pun intended) of the marks inside the case for 'punching out' are there not as an easy 'snap out' but part of the mould which is changed for this version, so drill job or a file is needed (as suggested). When we (SHMBO and I) first moved in together twenty four years ago we had a white 'phone with a watch earpiece, took ages to get a rental refund for a device not required. I do like the simple on/off hook switch, proper engineering!

Old 3rd Mar 2014, 10:54 pm   #8
vic0239
Tetrode

Yes, definitely not a simple snap out job. The metal base took quite a bit of drilling before finally relenting. Regarding the switch, I had imagined a sophisticated micro switch or the like and was surprised by the simplicity of the switching arrangement, nonetheless effective though.
Closed Thread