UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2006, 10:50 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question E.A.R.(Electric Audio Reproducers)

Anyone know anything about this company?
Many years ago,in about 1963, whilst living in an old house with no mains electricity supply, I owned an EAR 'Autobat' Battery powered Record Player, which used a converted BSR UA16 Autochanger with a 9 volt DC Motor, and a 'Powerful new 1000mW Amplifier'. This latter item, using OC71 & OC 81 Transistors, drove a large(abt 5" Diameter) Speaker.
The whole thing ran on 6 'U2'(D) Cells, and a seperate, identical Amplifier/Speaker unit(also needing 6 'U2s'), could be bought to convert it to Stereo. I think there was also a Radiogram Version, with MW/LW Radio, plus other products, in the range.
Incidentally I always tried to get Ray-O-Vac Heavy Duty 'LPU2' Cells as the standard Batteries had a very short life in the E.A.R player!
Old 31st Jul 2006, 11:06 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: E.A.R.(Electric Audio Reproducers)

I'm sure we had a thread about EAR a while back but I can't find it. WHen I was a kid we used to have an EAR record player at home. Mains powered with Collaro autochanger. I also think that a distant relative of mine was a director of EAR but have no further information.
Old 31st Jul 2006, 12:27 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: E.A.R.(Electric Audio Reproducers)

I owned an EAR record player in the latter part of the 1950s. Neat portable case, grey rexine two-tone, Collaro single player (i.e. non-auto), elliptical speaker. It did have a feel of quality compared with some stuff on the market, but that's subjective. I bought it from a furniture store!
-Tony
Closed Thread