UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2014, 1:00 pm   #1
Ravenhook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dating A 312L

Hi, newbie here.
I have got a 312L and was wondering how to date it...it has C38 on the handset and C55/3A on the metal base.
Does this mean it was made in 1938 and was refurbished in 1955.
Many thanks.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 1:40 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Dating A 312L

Hello Ravenhook, and welcome...

Your telephone may be a 'bitsa' (either official or unofficial, although mods would be likely be recorded), in which case the handset might be one vintage; the base and gizzards another. I'm not sure when refurbishment took place other than the mid 1960s, when curly plastic leads were fitted, some internal wiring replaced and receivers maybe swapped out: the old 1L receiver and earpiece No:18 being replaced by the more sensitive and efficient 2P receiver and earpiece No:23.

Has your telephone got a square capacitor or a round capacitor? They usually have the date on them, and the chassis inside - you may need to look beneath the bells - is sometimes date-stamped.

You might find some useful info here regarding type of plungers, chassis, etc... that will give you a clue.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 2:00 pm   #3
Ravenhook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dating A 312L

Hi, Thanks for that info. My phone has the braided cords on both handset and line...I am going to convert this to be used and have ordered the correct braided cord and I already have the Resistor and Rectifier.
I will have a look inside it this afternoon and report back what capacitor is fitted..I'll try to do some photo's to go along with it.
I have a very nice Green 706 that is in use in my sitting room and this one will make a nice addition.
Many thanks.
Closed Thread