UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2018, 4:18 pm   #1
StevanP
Retired Dormant Member

Default Revox A700 pinch pressure ???

Hi, I'm trying to ressurect an old A700. I did recap all tape control PCBs, except motor cap. So I got it work, but I find now another problem. Pinch pressure is too low, so if a tape was not at the start , I got flutter and at the 3/4 of the tape, tape stops. Revox service manual presure suggestion is 1000 to 1300grams, I got only 200 grams. I cleaned solenoid, check voltage, working 20V. I even supply voltage from bench PS, same situation. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 10:56 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox A700 pinch pressure ???

Perhaps the solenoid is in the wrong position. The spring in the linkage should be extended slightly when the pinch wheel is against the capstan, and this ensures the correct pressure. The mounting holes of the solenoid are slotted to enable this to be adjusted.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 9:49 am   #3
StevanP
Retired Dormant Member

I try to adjust soledoid moving it up and down , at least 10 position. I even replace solenoid with tape solenoid ( same product number as I saw in Studer service manual). But the results are the same. The linkage spring doesn't extend a bit, what ever position of the solenoid is. The force of the solenoid is too low, I can very easily with finger move the roller arm, and it can't go back. Is there any possibility that the solenoid plunger lose magnetic force or being magnetize ?
Old 7th Mar 2018, 10:24 am   #4
StevanP
Retired Dormant Member

I tried several solenoid position, even I switched it with tape solenoid, and the result is the same. Still I can easy, remove pinch from the motor shaft with my little finger. Linkage spring doesen't extend at all. Is there any possibility that the solenoid plunger gets magnetised or lose magnetic properties?
Old 7th Mar 2018, 11:58 am   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Is the diode across the solenoid leaky?
Old 7th Mar 2018, 12:16 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

If the pinch solenoid is set too far out the core won`t go fully home into the solenoid and pinch pressure will be minimal, as here.

I don't know the Revox circuit, is it possible that the solenoid should be fed with an initial surge to pull it in and then the voltage is dropped?
Old 7th Mar 2018, 1:00 pm   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

Agree with Barry. Check that the solenoid core is going all the way in. Try it with pinch roller removed. Mark that position on the core. When you try it with the pinch roller back on the shaft the core should go to the same position. All the way in.

The solenoid adjustment is critical. Too much to the left and the pressure will be weak. Too much to the right and the pressure will also be weak. It's the same generally with solenoid operated pinch rollers.

As Ted says when it's set properly the spring should extend a little.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 1:00 pm   #8
StevanP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
If the pinch solenoid is set too far out the core won`t go fully home into the solenoid and pinch pressure will be minimal, as here.

I don`t know the Revox circuit, is it possible that the solenoid should be fed with an initial surge to pull it in and then the voltage is dropped?
Yes! That was the problem, since this is very old, unused for decades, R2R, roller arm was set bad, so I couldn't set the solenoid right. As soon I reset the arm angle on the shaft, the force came back. I must right now only set the proper force.

Thanks for a tip, I stumbled across another problem, too much noise in signal while the tape is in Stop.
Old 7th Mar 2018, 10:27 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevanP View Post
... i stumbled across another problem, too much noise in signal while the tape is in Stop.
Is the noise increase hum? In stop the small metal hum shield over the play head swings down. This increases the hum and is normal.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:57 pm   #10
StevanP
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, Timtape.

This is very old recorder, I had problem with bearings, so Ichanged them. I didn't have time to look further. I will check what is going on with headshield. Thanks.
Closed Thread