UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2016, 12:04 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Calling CV-2100 owners, can you transfer a tape?

Hi everyone, the recent purchase of the Panasonic NV-3020 VTR has made me dig out an old sony tape I had that was recorded on a CV-2100 containing around 10 minutes of test card and accompanying music along with the BBC continuity clock. I managed to run the tape through, collect the audio and speed it up via some editing software, I can't seem to find the music online so I am unsure of what it is. I would also like the video too but i can't record it myself as the Panasonic is an EIAJ-1 recorder and the CV-2100 was of course skip-field. I am in the process of mocking up a video just to display the music on but it would be nice to also have the transmitted image too. I'm not too sure how many of you are in posession of a CV-2100 but if you can help then that would be great!
Old 15th Nov 2016, 1:34 pm   #2
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Re: Calling CV-2100 owners, can you transfer a tape?

Here is the audio now uploaded onto youtube, can anyone identify the music?

https://youtu.be/-gyGTLYmCsE
Old 15th Nov 2016, 2:13 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Only a couple of the songs so far, Home On The Range & Oh Susannah.

I don't know who did the recording.

Lawrence
Old 15th Nov 2016, 7:02 pm   #4
jb332
Triode

Looks like it was recorded on 5th November 1981

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules...and/1981-11-05
Old 15th Nov 2016, 9:41 pm   #5
8 Tracker
Hexode

That schedule brings back memories....

I have a CV-2100, for my sins. I am ashamed to say that it has been in the garage for at least a couple of years, so I am not sure how it would perform once awoken from its' slumber. If you can be patient, I could drag it out of hibernation and attempt a transfer after getting it going again. Easier you send me the tape rather than I send you the machine!!

What did the tape play like? Any sign of sticky shed? The old Sony 1/2" video reels are terrible for that.

Mark.
Old 15th Nov 2016, 9:51 pm   #6
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi Mark,
That sounds great! The tape is the dreaded sticky sony stuff but I keep it round a relatives house where the air is much drier than my own house and it will play if left there for a week or so, it ran through the panasonic with no problems. I did have a CV-2100 at one point and regret selling it so if you do ever need to find a home for yours let me know as I am sourcing one so I can rebuild my VTR collection. It would be nice to see the original footage along with the audio.

Also I just realised that both skip field and EIAJ-1 both run at 7.5ips so the tape sounding slow through my panasonic must mean that my machine is running slow, don't know if that will be the sync pulses slowing the motors down due to the skip field sync track or whether it's worth changing the run/start caps, only time will tell!

Regards
Brennen
Old 19th Nov 2016, 2:05 pm   #7
Keith1973
Retired Dormant Member

I did something similar a few years ago, playing a CV2000 tape on a Sony EIAJ-1 machine to recover the sound and that also played slow. So I don't think your Panasonic can be at fault there must be a speed difference between the 2 formats.

Maybe the quoted 7.5ips speed is for 525/60 and the 625/50 version run slower? In the same way as VHS runs slower in PAL compared with the NTSC version.

I've found a diagram online showing the linear speed of EIAJ-1 as 16.322cm/s which converts to a little under 6.5ips. Which means a tape recorded at 7.5ips on a CV2000/CV2100 would run at around 85% of normal playback speed on an EIAJ-1 625/50 machine. The 60Hz NTSC to 50Hz PAL ratio is 83.3%, so maybe that diagram is correct.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 11:56 pm   #8
1100 man
Octode

Evening all,
I still have a CV2100 which I coerced my father into buying in the mid 80's from a school in Hemel Hempsted. It has been in less than ideal storage for many years but I have no desire to get rid of it. However, I do have a complete Sony service manual if anyone needs any information. From memory, I thought that it ran at 12 ips rather than 7.5 ips but I may be wrong.
If Mark doesn't get any joy with his, I could dig my one out and give it a go.
Cheers
Nick
Old 21st Nov 2016, 11:59 am   #9
8 Tracker
Hexode

I dragged this beast out of the garage at the weekend and left it in the workshop to warm up and dry out. I didn't mess about, just plugged it in and switched it on. All credit to Sony, it fired up straight away and apart from a few joints needing re-greasing, it all seemed to function quite well. Even better, I managed to get it to produce a picture. It's very snowy, but it is locked. I think the picture quality may be due to the tape. I only have one reel of video tape, which was so sticky it refused to play at all, so I fished out some old computer tape I had saved from the skip for testing purposes.
There is a problem with the tension arm, it's too low and looks as if its been butchered in the past, as it is at the top end of its adjustment. I may have to put a couple of spacers underneath it.
If anyone can help with suitable tape, please let me know.
Mark.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 12:24 pm   #10
8 Tracker
Hexode

All is not well in Sony video land. To start with the machine just stopped, suddenly and without warning. The electronics were still alive, but the motor was dead. I removed the belts could feel the motor put up some resistance when I turned it by hand with power on. I diagnosed the motor caps, which were made up of 2 twin 1.5uf and 0.5uf to make a total of 4uF. By de-soldering wires I was able to determine that one of the 1.5uF had failed. I left the whole thing out of circuit and the motor started quite happily with just 2uF.

The next problem is the output from one of the heads is very low. I don't think this is a problem with the heads or slip rings, I think there is an amp problem somewhere. I have two different copies of the service manual, but wouldn't you know it, the RF board in my machine is totally different to the one in the manual. My machine must be later, as it has an "A13" board, and the manual mentions "A11".

My last hope is that Nick (1100 man) has a later copy of the manual. Much obliged if you could have a look, Nick, for any mention of the A13 board in your manual. If not, I think I will have to abandon this project, as I am working blind and getting nowhere.

Mark.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 1:19 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Slightly in the wrong spot but I have 2 reels of unused tape here.BASF FV26AE 7" 2400 feet.Plus Sony V-32.

Free if anyone is intrested,first to send sae jiffy bag etc.Quite heavy each one I add.

PM ime if required.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 12:43 am   #12
1100 man
Octode

Hi Mark
Have just been looking through the service manual and can see no mention of an 'A13' board. My manual details mods as late as Feb 72 and as the manual was bought in the mid '80's I would have thought it would have been as up to date as possible as production had long finished by then.
Out of pure interest, could you give me the serial number of your machine? Also, under the head cover and just to the left of the head, is there an H or J or K stamped into the deck? Is it a CV 2100 ACE?
Sorry I can't be more help
Cheers
Nick
Old 24th Nov 2016, 1:04 am   #13
1100 man
Octode

Also whilst looking at the specs in the manual, the tape speed is quoted as 11.5 ips. I do remember the thing used to go at a frantic pace and I could only get 1hr out of a reel of ultra thin tape. 40 mins from standard tape.
In the mid '80's, ( I was about 16) I used to record programs for my parents on it (long before we had a vcr) and I would often have to set the alarm to get up and change the tape if I was recording a film at night
Playback was achieved via a modulator and a long length of co-ax trailed down the stairs from my bedroom to the lounge!
A few years later, I coupled it up to a scrap N1700 VCR and got it to record remarkably well in colour- entirely to its own format.
Nick
Old 24th Nov 2016, 9:57 pm   #14
8 Tracker
Hexode

Thanks for having a look, Nick. I haven't been near my machine today so don't have any serial number information yet. I do know the deck is indeed a CV-2100ACE.

Your information from the service manual is both intriguing and annoying. My manual also details mods. going up to February 1972. A close look at the bottom chassis exploded drawing shows board A9 where the rest of the manual shows A11, so this was probably an even earlier board, changed during the production run, but forgotten on that particular drawing.

Thanks to HamishBoxer, I have a reel of "proper" video tape on its' way, so that will help enormously. However, I still don't have any service information on the elusive A13 board. I suppose that it will be similar to the circuit in the manual, so I could try tracing the signal through by hand. I'll update in due course with progress and a serial number.

Mark.
Old 25th Nov 2016, 12:06 am   #15
1100 man
Octode

Hi Mark,
The highest serial number in the modifications section of my manual is 37190 (jan 72). I fought my way through the spiders into the barn where my machine has resided for the last 10 years and checked the s/n which was 50705 so much later than the last listed in the manual. I estimate this would put it about Jan 73.
I imagine, therefore, that my machine would also have different electronics to my manual. Also, I have the letter 'O' printed on the deck under the head cover. Again, the highest revision letter in my manual is 'K'.
We (both of us) would appear to need a much later service manual!!
I would be interested to know your s/n and revision number.
Cheers
Nick
Closed Thread