UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2016, 2:17 pm   #1
Keith1973
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N1500 VCR - Head Drum Servo Fault

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience on these old Philips N1500 VCRs? This one I've had for long time now and will playback for a very brief period then the head drum speeds up.

This system appears to be designed to run the drum faster and then use eddy current braking in the head drum servo to slow it down to the correct speed. So my assumption is that the circuit cuts out completely allowing the drum to run at full speed. The best I can get out of the machine is maybe about a minute of playback. Once it fails the fault remains until the machine is left disconnected from the mains for some time.

Has anyone come across this fault before?

Thanks,

Keith.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:02 pm   #2
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: Philips N1500 VCR - Head Drum Servo Fault

Hi Keith.

I realise it's not terribly scientific (in my book, easy-ness comes before scientific-ness) but if it were mine then my first port of call would be a can of freezer-spray. Do you have the service manual for the set as it's not very easy to identify components on those highly-populated PCBs.

Thanks Keith.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 9:41 pm   #3
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Default Re: Philips N1500 VCR - Head Drum Servo Fault

I don't know to what extent this will help but the N1500 was my first ever VCR which I bought 2nd. hand from a telly/radio shop in about 1978. It soon developed the fault of uncontrollable frame slip which I eventually traced to total loss of eddy current braking of the drum motor. The electromagnets are connected to a small board which is supposed to supply the necessary current and it was obvious that many repairs had been attempted here before. On close and careful examination of this board it was found that a lead from each of the output transistors had never been soldered in during manufacture. A cleanup and a blob of solder on each connection point of the PCB restored normal operation. Careful movement of each component should reveal if this is the case with your unit.
The other stock fault on this unit which happened to me was intermittent failure of the main rectifiers which caused the whole unit to trip out (when recording of course). Replacement was the appropriate cure.

P.P.