UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2012, 12:27 am   #1
Gordonc
Pentode

Default Bush AC41 speaker arrangement

Hi all,
I am attempting my first restoration of a Bush AC41. All is going ok so far. I have replaced all of the wax caps, but I am a bit unsure of the speaker arrangement. The back panel shows "External loudspeaker" and " Internal loudspeaker switch - unscrew to disconnect". I am puzzled as a) this is not really a switch, just a large handscrew, and b) there is nothing connected to this screw! When I power up the set, I get zilch from the internal speaker. What should I be doing?
Old 20th Mar 2012, 12:48 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush AC41 speaker arrangement

I'm rather puzzled by this as I thought all the AC41 had on its rear was four sockets; aerial+earth and two for 'gram'?

Anyway, whatever, all that screw will do is push apart/allow to connect a pair of contacts in the 'speaker wiring. The action is similar to when you insert an earphone jack into the socket provided on some transistor radios and it cuts out the internal 'speaker.

Check the output transformer secondary to make sure the set is indeed babbling away and, if it is, suspect those contacts mentioned above. Don't run the radio, assuming it is working, with no 'speaker connected for long though.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 9:20 am   #3
Gordonc
Pentode

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the quick reply. Having looked again at the service sheet, (Bush AC/DAC41) it appears that there are definitely connections for an external speaker, shown on the AC41 circuit diagram as S8 and SK1/A and SK1/B, S8 being the Screw, and the SKs (I assume) being the input sockets.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 10:02 am   #4
Station X

S8 disconnects the internal speaker. You'll have to inspect it to check whether the screw needs to be in or out to enable the speaker. You may need to clean or adjust the contacts too.

SK1A and SK1B are the OUTPUT sockets for connection to an external speaker.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 10:45 am   #5
Gordonc
Pentode

Thanks Graham.
I will check it as you say and see if I get anything through the internal speaker.

Thanks again for your help.

Gordon.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 12:06 am   #6
Gordonc
Pentode

Hi! Me again I'm afraid. I checked the screw fitting as Graham advised but it does not appear to have contact with anything! The wiring is as follows:
One wire runs from SK1/B to the transformer and continues to one terminal on the internal speaker. A second wire runs from SK1/A to the transformer. A third wire is connected directly to the remaining terminal on the speaker, from a brass plate/bracket through which the screw runs. I have a feeling that an additional wire or connection may be missing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 12:18 am   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

Get two lengths of wire and go from the secondary of the output transformer to the speaker. Try that. If it works you have a wiring problem. Easy to sort or just put the two new wires in neatly.

If it stays obstinately silent, come back.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 12:41 am   #8
Station X

Looks like there should be an additional wire from SK1A, or the transformer terminal it connects to, to a second terminal near the screw. It's possible the screw itself is a conductor.

For testing purposes, just run a wire from SK1A to the brass plate, or the speaker terminal it's connected to.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 12:48 am   #9
Gordonc
Pentode

Thanks guys. I will try both methods and let you know the result.

Cheers,

Gordon.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 1:18 am   #10
paulsherwin

This arrangement was quite common. Radios cost an awful lot then, and many people wired an extension speaker in the kitchen or dining room connected to the main radio in the living room. The screw disconnected the internal speaker, which allowed both silence in the living room and better transformer matching for the extension speaker.

The output transformer just has a 3 ohm output for a speaker. If you never need to use an extension speaker, you could just wire it directly to the internal speaker ignoring the screw and LS sockets.

Don't use the radio without any speaker connected, as this will cause very high AC voltages in the output transformer primary which may result in damage.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 12:04 pm   #11
Gordonc
Pentode

Hi guys,
Have got some life in the speaker now!
However as you have probably guessed, I am new to the Bush AC41, so I assume as it has no frame aerial that I will need to plug in an external wire/aerial to be able to get decent reception yes? Do I also need to connect an earth wire to the earth socket?

Gordon.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 3:12 pm   #12
Steve_P
Dekatron

Aerial and earth will make a drastic improvement to the set. You may be able to get away with an aerial, a long wire will do.

As far as an earth is concerned, a water pipe will do. NOT GAS...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 6:10 pm   #13
Gordonc
Pentode

Radio is now working fine and reception is excellent! Thanks for all of your help guys - greatly appreciated!

One very minor problemette - no wanda plugs to attach the aerial and earth wires to! Anyone know where these can be obtained as I like to maintain the radio's authenticity so don't really want to put modern banana sockets on it.

Gordon.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 8:02 pm   #14
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well, try here for ideas..

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=7247

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 12:05 am   #15
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonc View Post
Anyone know where these can be obtained as I like to maintain the radio's authenticity so don't really want to put modern banana sockets on it.Gordon.
Gordon, if you still need wander plugs, send me a pm with name and address, and I'll get a couple in the post. Red or black?

Barry
Closed Thread