UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2020, 9:30 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Barlow Wadley XCR-30 - FM section wiring?

I have been given a supposedly working Barlow Wadley XCR-30 by a friend and collector of these radios. He has restored a large number of these sets in his heyday but is unfortunately now not well enough to continue.
He also gave me a spare FM "pod" that can be installed on the top, to add FM, plus an original Service manual.
However, I can find no reference to the FM pod in the service manual, so I have no idea how to add it to my XCR-30.
There are two single wires (black and orange), a slim screened lead, and a short stiff white wire (antenna connection?). Do I need to find suitable volts (orange?), earth (black?) and take the aidio somewhere (screened lead?)?

Can anyone shed light on where and how it is wired in, or provide photos of wiring?
Many thanks
Jeremy
Old 29th Sep 2020, 5:18 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Barlow Wadley XCR-30 - FM section wiring?

Never even heard of one of those, but the IF bandwidth needed for broadcast FM is far wider than an AM receiver needs, so it's likely the pod must contain an IF and a discriminator as well as a front end. So I guess the signal link to the main receiver must be audio.

David
Old 29th Sep 2020, 6:30 am   #3
frsimen
Heptode

The XCR30 manual here:

https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/BarlowWadley_XCR30MkII.pdf

has details of how to wire in the FM module. David (Radio Wrangler) is, of course, correct. The FM module supplies an audio feed to the main receiver.

Paula
Old 29th Sep 2020, 10:14 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

Thank you so much Paula! My service manual did not have this essential addendum showing how to fit the FM module. Now I can finally give it a try. The kind donor even gave me spare antennae.
However, I still need to find the mysterious "yellow wire" mentioned in the manual. There's no sign of it on my FM module. It takes 6V back to the main board. I'm sure I can work that out, though!
Many thanks all,
-Jeremy

Last edited by Pamphonica; 29th Sep 2020 at 10:23 pm.
Closed Thread