UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2020, 3:23 pm   #1
hansomcommon
Pentode

Default Very early Ferrograph.

Can anyone identify this early Ferrograph tape recorder please? It has octal valves and is single speed 7.5 inch. It may be a model D of 1950. I would like to obtain the circuit details. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1791.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	216459   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1792.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	216460   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1794.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	216461  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 5:06 pm   #2
flywheel
Tetrode

Default Re: Very early Ferrograph.

Hi, this also known as a YD/G100 and is the version of the Model D made mainly for the Admiralty (later part of the MOD) in the sturdy aluminium case. An interesting deck that was in production in basically this form until the end of the 50s or a bit later.

It's actually a 3-speed machine - the stepped knob above the head cover moves up and down to change the position of the idler wheel relative to the capstan motor pulley.

Yours looks to be in quite good condition, with mainly cleaning and re-lubricating needed on the mechanical side perhaps. Rubber wiring may be perished, but that seems to vary a lot between equipment of this vintage - otherwise caps of course.

Worth getting going, and although not intended for h-fi use it can give quite good results at 7.5ips with the EQ switch in the 'D' position. I'll try to get back to this thread later with more info and the circuit if I can find it (though someone else may get here before me!).

Last edited by flywheel; 26th Sep 2020 at 5:10 pm. Reason: Additions.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 5:07 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

I think it is a model 100YD or very similar.

https://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/V...age.asp?IDS=10

Circuitwise it is very similar to the later models, 2AN, 3AN, 4AN etc, obviously the valve types differ but EF37A for EF86, 6V6 for EL84 etc.

I had one of these bought from a secondhand dealer in Wales back in 1979, I still have bits of it, I converted it for full pushbutton operation and a separate replay head and amplifier, then obviously lost interest....
Old 26th Sep 2020, 5:46 pm   #4
hansomcommon
Pentode

Thank you gentlemen for your superb information! I have something to go on now.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 10:29 am   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywheel View Post
It's actually a 3-speed machine - the stepped knob above the head cover moves up and down to change the position of the idler wheel relative to the capstan motor pulley.
I`d forgotten about the speed change up / down knob - mine was only two speed though.
Closed Thread