UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2020, 1:01 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default JVC AL-E700 BK motor does not spin

It's a linear tracker, probably 1980's. I can't locate a service manual.

Press play, the arm moves and sets down but the motor (so platter) does not spin.
Removing the belt and spinning by hand, the 'no record' detect works and the arm returns. Everything else seems to work but either the motor's dead, (4 wires to it) or it's not getting power. I am reluctant to apply power to the motor to test without knowing voltage/ac/dc or which wire is which.

Any clues??
Thank you
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:53 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: JVC AL-E700 BK motor does not spin

Sorry I don't have the AL-E700BK manual but do have one for the AL-E500BK, which also has a 4 wire motor. The circuit shows + volts to pin 1 straight from the bridge rectifier and earth to pin 2. Speed is controlled with resistors on pins 3 and 4, which are switched between 33 and 45rpm. I could send a scan to you if that might help.
Dave
Old 30th Sep 2020, 8:14 pm   #3
PWH
Heptode

Thank you a scan would be very helpful. Hopefully it shows what + volts should be..
I presume the bridge rectifier s OK as all the logic functions appear to function
Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:57 am   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

It is the service manual for the AL-E500BK, so has the usual info in it. Will need your email to send it to you, please PM it.
Dave
Old 1st Oct 2020, 11:20 pm   #5
PWH
Heptode

pm sent
Old 4th Oct 2020, 4:28 am   #6
PWH
Heptode

Thanks Dave for the manual.
It's given me some clues, and I suspect the motor is faulty. Its a SHP2R apparently made by Sankyo.
Google does not however, give any indications as to which connections should make it spin. I tried 12V across pins 1 (yellow wire) & 2 but nothing.. Must I have voltage on one of the other 2 pins to make it go? . Pin 4 seems to be O/C
Old 4th Oct 2020, 7:52 pm   #7
roffe
Hexode

There's a JVC AL-F350 at Vinyl Engine with a SHP2R13 motor where the circuit diagram shows how to connect this.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/al-f350.shtml
Old 4th Oct 2020, 8:54 pm   #8
PWH
Heptode

Thank you gents. The motor is almost certainly stuffed. Fortunately they are fairly common. I will see if I can get it apart to find out why it failed.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 10:29 pm   #9
PWH
Heptode

Well there is more to this motor than I thought, see attached.
There was an obvious dry joint. I need to get the brushes over the little pink 'washer' on the rotor. To do this I must first get the brass pulley off the spindle so I can pull the rotor out, but it seems firmly attached. Any ideas how to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	217053  
Old 4th Oct 2020, 10:55 pm   #10
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Try to pull the pink washer off the armature shaft. If it will come off, position it on the end bell between the front of the brushes and the front bearing. Give the commutator a clean with a cloth and some IPA, then carefully reassemble, ensuring the brushes go over the commutator.
Old 5th Oct 2020, 12:29 am   #11
PWH
Heptode

Thank you. The method worked but the motor did not.
Time to find a new motor methinks..
Old 5th Oct 2020, 3:42 pm   #12
G6ONEDave
Octode

If the motor windings all measure a sensible ohmage, it might be easier to replace the LA5531 control chip, especially as it's a through hole type, than to obtain a replacement motor. This chip is available on ebay at £4.99 each or less if you are prepared to wait and get it from China. If doing this, don't forget the capacitor, it might even be just the capacitor that has failed.
Dave
Old 5th Oct 2020, 8:57 pm   #13
PWH
Heptode

I did change the capacitor and measured the voltage between the case and the two armatures, strangely 12v and 8.5v so I think the coils have had it or the brushes aren't making proper contact. It is almost impossible to line it up properly due to the way the motor was made. BER. So I will see if a donor motor comes up or will use this player for parts.
Old 5th Oct 2020, 9:08 pm   #14
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

From the picture, this looks like a Mabuchi motor. They are in widespread use, so it shouldn't be difficult to find one that will do even if you have to use the regulator from the old one.
Old 7th Oct 2020, 8:54 pm   #15
PWH
Heptode

Yes the motors seem quite common as cassette recorder motors but I am concerned about the size of the brass pulley matching. With nothing to lose I'll try getting it off the spindle with heat. If that works I can obtain any motor of the SHP2R type and replace it.
Old 12th Oct 2020, 4:48 am   #16
PWH
Heptode

I made myself one of these
https://www.instructables.com/Cheap-...e-Gear-Puller/
which got the pulley off, then re assembled ensuring the brushes were in the right place. Now it spins. Getting the pulley on was easier. Just stick the soldering iron tip in the hole in the pulley to heat it up and drop it on the spindle. Next time I will make a mark where the pulley should fall to. The motor is slightly noisy but this was good practice if it happens again. Player now working.
Old 12th Oct 2020, 9:08 pm   #17
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH View Post
I made myself one of these
https://www.instructables.com/Cheap-...e-Gear-Puller/
which got the pulley off, then re assembled ensuring the brushes were in the right place. Now it spins. Getting the pulley on was easier. Just stick the soldering iron tip in the hole in the pulley to heat it up and drop it on the spindle. Next time I will make a mark where the pulley should fall to. The motor is slightly noisy but this was good practice if it happens again. Player now working.
The gear puller is similar to the worm puller used for removing the worm on
Tri-ang/Hornby X04 model train motors.

I am pleased that you got it working. It may have made the motor quieter if you had oiled the bearings with some sewing machine oil. You only need a tiny amount, I use the tip of a needle.

It sounds like the brushes were not making contact with the commutator when you first re-assembled it,
Old 13th Oct 2020, 12:09 pm   #18
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

I don't know whether or not one of these motors could be made to fit if you have any further trouble: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25MM-Moun....c100005.m1851

They are cheap and have a speed adjustment on them.

Last edited by Fidelity Fan; 13th Oct 2020 at 12:14 pm.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 6:39 am   #19
PWH
Heptode

Thanks for that. I will investigate more, Cheap enough to take a risk...
Closed Thread