UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2020, 11:39 am   #1
Jukedome
Triode

Unhappy Pye 1005 turntable stopping

Hi
I have bought a Pye 1005 and it was described as working but there were quite a few problems with it. Please can anyone help? I have read through the old threads and some of it was helpful.
The first issue was the cartridge had no red knob at the top and was very light and wouldn't drop to the record. Thanks to the tips here that was fixed.

Then the record would not play to the end without sticking and jumping.
So following advice on here I cleaned the trip switch which was all gunked up.

The current issue happened after I replaced the platter.
The turntable spins and the arm goes to the record but then the brakes come on and the turntable stops with the arm over the record.
Then nothing but a stiff turntable and I have to take the platter off get back to the same point.

Have I knocked something off kilter along the way?
Old 24th Sep 2020, 12:00 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye 1005 turntable stopping

Hello and welcome.

What happens if you give the turntable a helping hand when it sticks? If that gets it to work, I would clean the edge of the rubber idler, the stepped motor pulley and the inside walls of the platter with isopropyl alcohol or similar, as the slightest trace of oil or grease here can cause slippage and stalling.

Nick.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 12:29 pm   #3
Jukedome
Triode

Hi Nick

No its stuck fast like the brakes have been applied as soon as the needle goes to drop it locks. Pushing it makes no difference.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 12:52 pm   #4
Jukedome
Triode

Ok well this is embarrassing as it appears i put the trip switch back in wrong way up. This is my first time taking a record player apart and made the mistake of not checking my photos to make sure.
All spinning as normal now but still not tracking properly with lots of sticking on a groove.
Is this a stylus issue?
Old 24th Sep 2020, 2:56 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done.

Yes probably, but it can also be because the arm's horizontal bearings are gummed up. A big job to get at, but not impossible.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 3:48 pm   #6
Jukedome
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Well done.

Yes probably, but it can also be because the arm's horizontal bearings are gummed up. A big job to get at, but not impossible.
Thanks Nick, can I have an idea on how I get started on that please?
Old 24th Sep 2020, 3:50 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You cannot alter the stylus tracking weight on this as it is pre-set and designed not to be altered. Try swinging the rotating stylus round to the other one and see how it plays then?
Old 28th Sep 2020, 9:08 am   #8
Jukedome
Triode

I managed to get a gauge to check the weight and it was a bit heavy. Managed to get it to 2.5gm and changed the stylus and so far its played records all the way through.

Thank you for all the advice.

I still need another red button for the top, does anyone know if is there anywhere I can get this or a Zenith equivalent ?
Old 28th Sep 2020, 5:17 pm   #9
jmcilkley
Tetrode

The red buttons are really hard to find. I did manage to get one together with a new stylus but they are expensive. Maybe someone with access to a 3d printer could produce a few? I would happily loan mine as a template to some kind person looking for something useful to 3d print!
I found on mine that the tracking weight was too low to keep it in the grooves to the end of a record. It seems that fixing a small weight in a suitable position on the tone arm improves things to give a weight of about 3 to 3.5g
Closed Thread