UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2011, 11:58 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Dynatron SRX26-30 range Music Centre Info

Does anyone know anything about the above. Specificly the SRX26-30 range. Were Dynatron,s well made,did they use good decks,what did they sound like etc. Any info much appreciated,Andy.
Old 5th Nov 2011, 4:10 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Dynatron Music Centre Info

They were "ok" but in the main nothing very spectacular.

Tended to use either the Garrard SP25 mkIV or Goldring G102 (this was also availale as a "kit" ) although some of the nicer ones use th GL75 or 78, these seem fairly well sought after.

Robert
Old 5th Nov 2011, 4:59 pm   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks for that info. The one in question is a SRX30B. It has nice wooden "box"/ cabinet which I know may look good,but isnt any indication of sound quality. Its sad to see these skipped/tipped,but tastes have changed.

Can anyone shine any light on the Dynatron company ? Info on the later years especially. Their valves amps seem highly thought of. Andy
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:09 pm   #4
bobbyball
Octode

If the model you are referring to is the "all in one" model, rather like a mini coffin with the lid shut(!) then it is typical of it's "genre" and has a decent performance. I have the "coffee table" version with wobbly legs and although the turntable isn't the best it is "ok". The cassette deck if fitted is likely to be the early Philips stereo model, which, although fairly welll made by Philips standards, is definately "not" hi fi. There is a separate tape recorder socket usually so this can be used either for such a deck or as an imput for CD etc.

Incidentally the earlier valved models, especially from the 40's and 50's are very well sought after, the later models using pretty standard "Mullard" designs, which are of course excellent, so, and especially recently, even their valved radiograms are attracting good interest (and prices).

Somewhere on the Web (can't recall at present) there is a "Dynatron museum" type site, well worth a visit if you can find it...

Robert
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:21 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

'Dynatron' was started by the Hacker brothers - think of Hacker radios and the high standard of quality in audio-sound reproduction and construction is self-explanatory.

They became part of EKCO in 1959 but when Pye/EKCO passed to Philips they adopted Mullard/Philips radio/amps but due to the close working relationship between Philips and Plessey, retained Garrard turntables with later, Garrard or Philips cassette decks before Dynatron was sold off in a rationalisation program to Roberts Radio in 1981 and then in the 1990s, when demand for quality radiograms collapsed, Roberts Radio was taken over by Glen-Dimplex and the Dynatron name died... as did the quality of Roberts' radios.

Their high quality veneered ply and/or MDF cabinets not only looked good but added to the accoutic quality of Dynatrons products. But today, bulky radiograms can't even be given away!

Barry
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:40 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Some of Dynatron's first transistor radiograms used a version of Pye's HFS30T amplifier, which along with Leak's Stereo 30 introduced transistors to the UK hi-fi market. I have one of their last one-piece radiograms, which has the SRX26 tuner-amplifier also used in music centres - performance is okay but not especially distinguished. I'm not aware that these chassis were found under any other brand.

As I recall the Dynatron name was acquired by Roberts chiefly to continue a line of up-market TVs, with Roberts taking the opportunity to drop their own short-lived Roberts Video range. It briefly resurfaced in 1999 on a small range of Far Eastern radios which didn't compare well with Roberts' own Taiwanese offerings - the top model had two speakers, four bands, bass and treble controls, but retailed at £19.99 and was a clone of a Morphy-Richards set - not a happy final outing for the marque.

Paul
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:47 pm   #7
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Does anyone know anything about the above. Specificly the SRX26-30 range.
Do you mean one of these ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232s.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	58249  
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:48 pm   #8
bobbyball
Octode

(That matches a Dynatron TV I have - awful Pye 697 chassis but the sound quality is astounding!)

Robert
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:53 pm   #9
Graham-R
Pentode

This is what was on the inside - the Garrard (100SB ?) deck has gone to a new home. Telly conspicuous by its absence.

It is soon to house some rather more modern electronics (when I have made them....)

But it is a lovely piece of furniture, weighs a ton though.

GR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2237s.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	58250  
Old 5th Nov 2011, 6:27 pm   #10
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Graham R BB-sorry for any confusion but no that isnt what I mean. Forum rules dont alllow me to include a link ( Ebay) but if you google the model # etc you will see what I,m refering to,A
Old 5th Nov 2011, 7:43 pm   #11
Graham-R
Pentode

I see what you mean - same/similar receiver in a different box.

I have the old amp/psu modules + transformer should you require them. FOC of course, on
second thoughts I think one or both of the amps may be faulty - so probably not worth it !

Last edited by Graham-R; 5th Nov 2011 at 8:04 pm.
Old 5th Nov 2011, 8:22 pm   #12
bobbyball
Octode

Yes I only put my comment (in brackets) as (one of!) my TV set(s) looks like that.

I know your model, with the wooden lid and probably preset FM tuning (though only usually up to 104 MHz) - nice but otherwise unremarkable as just a Pye Group chassis of it's time as Barry says above.

Robert
Old 6th Nov 2011, 11:58 am   #13
brenellic2000
Octode

Paul RK is correct in that it was primarily to the Roberts Video Ltd side; Roberts' TVs then became 'Dynatron' to capitalise on the fine home furniture niche that formed the mainstay of Dynatron's market... which collapsed in the 1990s.

The plastic 'Dynatron' radios of the late 1990s were - um, - awful, as were the Morphy Richards clones, but Roberts/Morphy Richards 'oop North' are still helpful on old Dynatron circuit diagrams.

Barry
Old 6th Nov 2011, 4:34 pm   #14
gezza123
Heptode

Someting like this, wish I had one. Could not afford one at the time. We used to sell them in Colorvision.
gezza
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	page 18.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	58300  
Old 6th Nov 2011, 4:57 pm   #15
Graham-R
Pentode

Any idea of the price new ? (mine cost me about £20)
Old 6th Nov 2011, 10:18 pm   #16
gezza123
Heptode

HI: Graham r,sorry got no memory of the prices.but the same cabinet as (Robert) said did have the pye 679 Tv chassis inside the was I think known as the Benheim ctv15 and that was around £997.00 mark.this was a single standard set.also I think the CTV18 did or it may have been a Phillips 550,and that was at £925.00,and they allways looked like the philips 550 with the sliding door.

I think yours may have been the Dorchester HFC104,was about £300 to £400 and they sold well,and trying to carry them was to give the two engineers a hernia.We also had special bags made so as not to damage them whitch made it more heavy and clumsy.
I did put some pics on hear a while back from the Dynatron story book,I can Email you a copy if you want.you would need to PM your Email.Gezza.
Old 7th Nov 2011, 11:05 am   #17
Graham-R
Pentode

My cabinet and speakers certainly look nearly identical to the HFC104, the receiver and deck are different though, I think the original owner may have given me the original purchase receipt, I'll try and find it.

Any info would be useful - have pm'd my email to you.

GR
Old 8th Nov 2011, 10:11 am   #18
Graham-R
Pentode

Gerry

Thanks for the scans, when I have built my new receiver I shall post some pics.

GR
Old 8th Nov 2011, 3:47 pm   #19
Techman
Dekatron

I've got one of these which is just a player with a Goldring deck & separate speakers dating from about 1976 - I call it the 'baby Dynatron' as it's a little smaller than my large Dynatron radiogram from around 1947 ish.

These have absolutely NOTHING in common with the earlier 1940s Dynatrons. I got mine in some job lot at a local auction in 1997 for about a quid & it was only about 6 months ago that I actually found that I still had it up in the loft. It still had the auction house 'pat test' sticker & lot number on it from September 1997 & had the mains plug removed & I remembered that I had never actually put a plug on it & tried it out.

When I connected it up, it worked perfectly (other than the drive belt on the turntable being a little slack with age), & the frequency response of the amplifier I found to be excellent & a LOT better than other similar units from this time.

Edit: To add, that it's the speakers that actually let it down. I would say that the speakers are 'adequate' & that's about it. I did at first run it on some 'good' speakers (because I hadn't been able to 'dig out' the proper speakers that went with it that were further back in the loft) & the amp unit that's in it is capable of very good performance.

Last edited by Techman; 8th Nov 2011 at 4:01 pm.
Old 14th Nov 2011, 1:24 pm   #20
gezza123
Heptode

HI: GR. yes your Dynatron is a SRX 30 chassis which I have now found the manual.
It covers models HFC50 TO HFC69 inclusive and Cassette tape unit CP1.
Also the SRX29/SRX30
The question for you is,are you still going to use the SX30 in your cabinet,
or are you putting some other chassis in,if so I will to try and scan it about 60pages,so if you need it then PM me.
I was going to PM you but someone else may need it.Gezza
Closed Thread