UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2011, 7:57 pm   #41
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Default Re: Bryan Amplifier

The transistor in the picture does not look like the diagram of a TO-219 case?
Old 15th Apr 2011, 8:34 pm   #42
Trevor
Octode

I agree with you but if you could see it in real life its an exact match I shall try to find a way of getting a better picture I am totally convinced its a to -219
best regards Trev
Old 16th Apr 2011, 9:38 am   #43
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Try this:

Set your camera to its highest resolution (if you have a choice) then move the camera far enough away from the transistor to get it in sharp focus.

Crop the picture so that all that's left is the transistor - if you don't have any other editing software, you can do it with the Paint program that comes with Windows.

Terry
Old 16th Apr 2011, 5:56 pm   #44
Trevor
Octode

please find attached photo I hope this is better allthoughe you can not see the base emitter pins on the sides I am reluctant to bend them out as its so rare
Regards Trev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan-110416-0005.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	49632  
Old 16th Apr 2011, 11:36 pm   #45
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Great picture, I can seen its definitely a TO-219.

I have in the back of my mind that I have seen something like this before, but I cannot place it. Maybe it will come to mind one day.
Old 18th Apr 2011, 7:42 pm   #46
Trevor
Octode

Sanssui88
Can you please tell me the model no and serial no of your amplifier its a little strange !.The knobs are not the normal ones and the logo is not in the usual place
Perhaps it a model I have not come across
Regards Trev
Old 19th Apr 2011, 8:56 pm   #47
matthewhouse
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectronicman View Post
I have in the back of my mind that I have seen something like this before, but I cannot place it. Maybe it will come to mind one day.
There are 5x similar RCA 2N5034 transistors used in the BeoMaster 1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2n5034.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	49751  
Old 19th Apr 2011, 10:03 pm   #48
Trevor
Octode

I dont know if its luck or not but in 40 years of hifi servicing I only came across 4 or 5 items of B+O equipment I used to refer to it as Bang and Opless I know realise that I was being unfair to that brand It seems that they to pushed the limits of commercial design technology many thanks for your input!!!mattewhouse
regardsTrev
Old 26th Apr 2011, 4:35 am   #49
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Re the chronology of Bryan amplifiers, Audio! Audio! (1) lists various models dating from 1963 through 1971, starting with the 302 and ending with the 9000. It is noted that the 302 through 306 models were based upon the 1961 Tobey & Dinsdale WW design.

The first Hi Fi Year Book listing for Bryan is in 1964, Models 400, 500 and 600. The last was in 1976, with just one model, “The Leader LE720”, a 35 W per channel integrated amplifier.

Cheers,

Audio! Audio!
Jonathan Hill
Sunrise, 1995
ISBN 0 9511448 55
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 10:09 pm   #50
thebanks37
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
I inherited a Bryan 9000 (serial no: 90761) from my dad when I was about 10
(i am 36 now).
I have never stopped using it and it is still going strong.
Whenever I have tried to look it up before I have got nowhere. It's been lovely to see some photos of others like it.
I have attached a photo of it in use (currently playing some Pink Floyd).

Cheers
Old 24th Jun 2011, 6:01 pm   #51
Trevor
Octode

Well thanks for re - awakening the Bryan thread these have long been a favourite of mine Since my last post I have been to Hale Manchester just to see where they were made the buildings are still standing but I found no evidence of Bryan
Your comments go a long way to confirm the quality of these fine amplifiers 30 years + service that's quality
My best regards Trevor
Old 24th Jun 2011, 10:11 pm   #52
ms660
Dekatron

Used to work in Hale as R/TV Eng. back then I think that Bryan lived there at that time 1964 'ish.
Old 25th Jun 2011, 10:40 am   #53
valvekits
Pentode

Unfortunately it looks like Bryan Amplifiers demise started in 1973 according to the London Gazette.

Eddie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf London Gazette 1973.pdf (85.0 KB, 287 views)
Old 25th Jun 2011, 5:52 pm   #54
Trevor
Octode

What a shame
However at least I now know what happened to them its no great suprise!
Does any one know who was/were the proprieter of Bryan
best regards Trev
Old 25th Jul 2011, 3:58 pm   #55
Retrospective
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All , this is my first post and to be honest it was this thread that i was interested in initially when my Sugden r21 started to play up i had a look around for a potential replacement and took a punt on a bryan 9000 serial 90354 and a bryan 1500 tuner serial 4343 i'm very happy with the condition the cases are immaculate and they dont look like they have ever been opened up before the internals look like new !! the big but is both have had there power leads cut i dont fancy messing with power leads and there's some perculiar looking connections/adaptors in the rear of the amp that have also been cut.

I'd really like to get these up and running so if any one has any ideas on what would be my best course of action please share

thanks in advance
Old 26th Jul 2011, 6:25 pm   #56
Trevor
Octode

A photo of the disconnected wiring would help the Bryan was fitted with some now illegal mains outlets these may have been disconnected,
The habit that some people have of cutting the mains leads off is most agrevating
But should not give you any real problem send us a picture and I will advise
regards Trev
Old 27th Jul 2011, 1:15 am   #57
Retrospective
Retired Dormant Member

I've managed to get the power cable connected it powered straight up ! I have to say I wasn't expecting a blue lit logo ! I'm beginning to wonder whether some of the wires are ancient interconnects that have been cut off, the one that still perplexes me is the small 2 pin plug that goes into a socket labelled mains.

My excitement was tempered a little when I went to plug my speakers in and the plugs wouldn't fit so I'm curious as to what's the best way to attach my speaker cables ?

I must say the build quality of these amps/tuners is something else and puts my Sugden gear to shame.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 27th Jul 2011 at 5:51 am. Reason: C&P
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:12 pm   #58
Trevor
Octode

Those are the now illegal mains outlets do not use them! the spk plugs are also know obsolete but were at one time very common wander plugs they are a old type that measure approx 3.5 mm dia rather than the 4 mm that you used on your Sugden
regards trev
Old 28th Jul 2011, 3:10 pm   #59
Retrospective
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Trevor, I got the 1500 radio to power up but there was no sound. I'm wondering whether this could have something to do with the fact that I only have a din input on my amp (Sugden A21)and a split din to twin RCA(female) cable. Is there any reason it might only work with the Bryan amp or an amp with specific left and right channels?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Jul 2011 at 9:07 pm. Reason: FSK, iI.
Old 28th Jul 2011, 10:09 pm   #60
julie_m
Dekatron

There are at least 3 ways of wiring up a 2 * phono to 5-pin DIN cable. Yours may not be wired the way the amplifier expects. Trace the wiring inside the amp, and buzz the cable to see how it's wired. Middle pin (2) is always common; left and right may be 1+4, 3+5 or 1+3 respectively. Note the order is 1, 4, 2, 5, 3 not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. This is so both 3 and 5 pin plugs have the same numbering schema.