UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2009, 12:57 pm   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default SWR Problem

Not sure wether in order or not for this question.Should the height of a Windom aerial (using 1-1 balum at bottom and 4-1 at top end) effect the SWR? Should i understand be at 30 feet but more like 20 at present.This is homemade to correct spec.

Thank You David gm8jet
Old 18th Aug 2009, 2:00 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: SWR Problem

Since a Windom uses a single-wire feeder, is a balun actually necessary?

Al. / Skywave
Old 18th Aug 2009, 2:53 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: SWR Problem

How are you feeding the antenna? If it's balanced and you're using coax then you should only need a balun at the top end, assumming your TX has an unbalanced output.

Personally I'd feed it with ladder line feeder which has a much lower loss than coax.

To answer your original question the height of an aerial above the ground does affect the impedance and hence the SWR.

In my experience people worry far too much about having a 1:1 SWR. The loss through an ATU may well be more than that due to mismatch.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 4:45 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank You for replies,this is a copy of a Carolina Windom which is shown to have the baluns at both ends.It is fed via coax and has a 20foot vertical coax feed between the two baluns.The swr is way above 3 or more and while i have a good atu feel it should be a lot lower prior to feeding it into this.One top wire is 30 feet and the other 80 feet aprox and should cover 80 to 10 metres.

Thanks David
Old 18th Aug 2009, 4:49 pm   #5
Station X

The SWR will vary from band to band and within a band. You say you've not connected it to an ATU, as the SWR is too high. Does that mean you've tested it connected directly to a transmitter?

Old 18th Aug 2009, 5:27 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Have connected it through aerial analyser and through atu,no way would put tx straight on to it.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 7:10 pm   #7
Station X

You obviously have a lot of money. The AA should tell you what the antenna looks like at various frequencies, so you'll know what balun to use and whether your ATU will be able to cope.

Old 18th Aug 2009, 8:02 pm   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I know that this is not really an answer to your immediate problem but for may years I have used a balanced dipole of about 200' , although it could be any length, fed with twin feeder into a balun directly connected to the ATU, this will usually tune 1:1 on any band, if any don't, all you have to do is adjust the length of the feeder from the transmitter end.

For portable use I have an approximate 40m dipole made from twin telephone wire, the feeder is the same wire but not split, I use a KW easymatch which has a balanced output, this also tunes up on all bands with no RF feedback problems.

Peter
Old 18th Aug 2009, 8:10 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank You all again.No not got a 200 foot run available.Or as much dosh as Graham thinks though!Bought analyser s/hand.

Going back to original question does anyone think height effects swr?

Regards David
Old 18th Aug 2009, 8:44 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sorry Graham,need glasses as you gave me answer re height!
Old 18th Aug 2009, 8:49 pm   #11
Station X

Quote:
Going back to original question does anyone think height effects swr?
Yes. The impedance of an aerial changes with the height above ground and this in turn will affect the SWR.

In practice all we can do is put our antennas up as high as possible and live with the result.

No one bothered much about SWR until transistorised transmitters came in which blew up if presented with anything other than a 50 ohm load. Valve transmitters are much more resilient and fitted with a PI network in the output which is effectively a built in ATU.

Old 19th Aug 2009, 12:18 am   #12
glowinganode
Octode

Unhappy with the performannce of my 102' G5RV I experimented with an Off Centre Fed Dipole (Carolina Windom) by reducing one pole by 3', and adding 35' to the other. Height above ground 20'. Twin feeder approx 15' long. 4:1 balun at shack end of feeder, SWR reading less than 1.5:1 on 20M. On 80m no balun is used, the two feeders are connected to make a true Windom. SWR less than 2:1. Haven't tried the other bands, as these are the two bands I tend to work. The last 10' of each end hang down vertically as I ran out of garden.
Well please with the results, matches up better than the G5RV (in this instance with a short feeder) and brings the feed point at a more convenient position. I don't use an ATU, as I found it unnecessary with a PI tuned valve circuit, though a solid state amp might benefit if only to reduce the reflected power.
Like everything else in our hobby, it's 10% theory and 90% practice, keep experimenting until you find what works best for you.
73's, Rob.