UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2009, 9:30 pm   #1
neenaw698
Retired Dormant Member

Default GEC 60's Police Radio- Info Required

Hi all,
I have a 1968 ex-Liverpool & Bootle Police Area Car. I have recently been given pics of the dash mounted systems used in Police Traffic Cars of the 60's, and wondered whether anybody can identify/locate the radio in the pictures. Apologies for the quality, but it is,we believe, a GEC unit. I have the telephone and bracket, but need advice on the rest. I currently have a Pye Westminster FM15 set fitted, but for authenticity would like to locate the GEC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	28026   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	28027  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 14th Aug 2009 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Pantechnicon sized embedded images converted to 'Mini' thumbnails.
Old 15th Aug 2009, 5:28 pm   #2
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

Default Re: GEC 60's Police Radio- Info Required

The top unit on the dash looks like a GEC650 controller although it is quite a while since I worked on them..

You might like to search the Website:-

www.dtels.org

There may well be better pictures there such as:-

http://www.dtels.org/html/emergency_coms_vr_2.html

The site is mainly about the history of the Home Office Directorate of Telecommunications who provided equipment to most of the UK Police forces and Fire brigades during that period. I don't know if Liverpool had equipment supplied by the HO but I suspect they were from the HO Wireless depot at Billinge.

Keep an eye out on the auction sites or visit the Amateur radio rallies. I have to say it's ages since I saw one.

HTH

Denis