UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2018, 10:56 pm   #1
Littledude93
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replacement Cartridge for Garrard SP25

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of fixing up an old Garrard SP25 Mk 1 or 2, that I've gotten from my fiance's grandfarther.
Managed to fix the motor not starting so far.

Got a video of it here https://youtu.be/v2gROI3GVjE

My question is, what cartridge do you recommend fitting on it?

Currently it has a TC8SM cartridge, which looks a lot like this one:
(but very badly oxidized and worn out)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ereo-471849584
Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:29 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacement Cartridge for Garrard SP25

It'll all depend on what amplifier you intend to run it into.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 12:51 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

The SP25 can handle any cartridge which is happy with about 3 grams or higher tracking force. Pretty much any ceramic cartridge (not that there's a lot of choice of new ones) or the more robust or disco oriented moving magnet types. The TC8SM fitted is a ceramic type turnover cartridge more often found in a lower grade home than a SP25!

Ceramic types need an amplifier with high impedance (megohm level) inputs and MM types generally need a 47k impedance high sensitivity phono input with suitable tone correction circuits to give a flat frequency response from the rising response with frequency of the loaded cartridge.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Dec 2018, 12:51 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

The arms on these decks are counter balanced, so accept a fair range of carts. However, I'd stick to basic magnetic types like Audio Technica AT91, Stanton 500, Shure M75. This is because auto decks like this may not trip properly if used at very low tracking weights, i.e under 2 grams. The arm and headshell are quite high mass too.

If your amp is an older type (i.e. 60s era) then a ceramic cart will probably be needed. You can find the JP Chuo Denshi cz800 clone for pence on ebay which are surprisingly good (the version with the half inch mount bracket is quite a bit dearer though). Or look for a BSR SC12 (again, you will probably need the bracket). Most other ceramic carts are obsolete.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 12:47 pm   #5
bikerhifinut
Octode

ben's got it mostly nailed.
Check this out, spotted just now on Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-...Cl5V:rk:1:pf:0
If the description is correct this is a STEAL! Some used ones will cost more.
About the same price as a bargain basement Audio technica but better suited to the garrard arm.
Perfect for the SP25, in era and guaranteed to work well with the deck at 2.5 to 3.5 grammes tracking force.
The G800 is no slouch especially with a genuine goldring stylus. No matter what some pundits may say and way more suitable than the M75 series unless paired with a heavier tracking stylus assembly.
I have on here at home and use it on a Rega arm on either a Rega P7 or a MIchell Gyro SE and it doesn't shame itself at all, in fact I rather prefer it with the genuine goldring conical stylus to the lighter tracking 800E variant stylus assembly. Tracks at 2.5 to 3.5 grammes and was a popular fitment to 70's SP25 decks in what were for the day fairly decent hi fi systems.
Obviously, you need a magnetic cartidge input on your amplifier, or get a cheapie offboard preamp if not the case, it'll pay dividends over any old ceramic in terms of sound quality and kindness to your vinyl.
Also consider the Goldring G850, again very much the bargain basement but really a rather nice bit of kit with a good original stylus in it (still out there if you look around) and it tracks at 3.5 grammes, it was found in many older record players and stereograms of better quality.

A.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 2:44 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or the modern one Ben recommended: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CAP12...a-594868489597
Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:49 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

Further to Bens post #4, you can get a mounting bracket from “get the needle” for about £7.
Cheers
John
Old 15th Dec 2018, 3:38 am   #8
Littledude93
Retired Dormant Member

First off thank you all for the amazing feedback, learning quite a lot here.

I'm probably going to get the Audio Technica AT91, as it has been recomended multible times and is somewhat easier to get replacements for in the future should the need arise.
As for the rest of my setup, I actually only have the record player itself as things stand at the moment, so will be looking into preamps, amps and speakers soon.
I'm hoping to keep the retro look of the Garrard in the rest of the setup if possible.

Do you have any recomendations on that front?
Closed Thread