UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2015, 10:53 am   #1
GaryReggae
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity Argyll Minor 4 - drive belt replacing

I am a relatively new collector of vintage (50s/60s/70s) tech (mainly cameras and projectors; obviously not in scope of this forum) but also increasingly tape decks and record players (finding some reels of tape in a box of cine films I bought woke up my interest in tapes). My first machine was a very bulky Elizabethan but that was totally dead on arrival so I have just bought a much more portable Fidelity Argyll Minor 4.

It was working when I bought it except for the rewind didn't work (trying to rewind just caused the right-hand spindle to move in the same direction and speed as playback). However, I must have dislodged something underneath when cleaning the tape heads/pinch roller/guides as the play and FF only caused the right-hand spindle to rotate slowly; there is not enough strength to play a tape.

I'm sure this must be related to drive belts. As I've found with projectors, these don't last very long but I'm not sure how to access the belts as the plastic platters/spindle the tape reels sit on are in the way. Is there a way I can remove these or do I need to dismantle the deck from underneath? It's a BSR deck of some kind so I understand it is quite common.

Any suggestions on repairing this machine would be great as I have lots of mysterious tapes to listen to or I can use it as a retro way of recording music myself. If you want any more photos, such as with the deck top removed, or underneath the deck then I would be more than happy to post them. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11159963_10152702507076671_8773923606889894935_n.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	107304  
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 11:01 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Fidelity Argyll Minor 4 - drive belt replacing

That's the TD2 deck, which was used in practically every British domestic tape recorder made in the early 60s. They are tough as old boots and normally reliable though they do sometimes need new belts and a relube. Search the forum for 'bsr td2' for many discussions of this deck.
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 1:21 pm   #3
GaryReggae
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant, thanks. Knowing exactly what model of deck I am looking at will help me to research its repair.
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 1:21 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Most problems that relate to the TD2 deck is due to "Thick Grease". As Paul advises, search the form for bsr td2 and the thick grease problem will be mentioned, and it's so easy to cure and once done most transport problems will be solved.

By the way, the TD2 chassis is the easiest chassis to work on.
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 5:06 pm   #5
quiberon
Triode

I had an Elizabethan Automan two quite a few years ago, which used the same deck mechanics.

To replace the belt (there is only one, if I remember correctly), you need to remove the top panel.
Old 29th Apr 2015, 7:03 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

I can only echo what others have said earlier here and suggest that you problems will be due to hardened grease and not drive belts. The TD2 has only one (or two) belts fitted, a main drive belt and, in the case of most decks fitted to four track machines, a counter belt. Although they do stretch after a while I seem to recall only ever replacing one in all the TD2's that have passed through my hands over the years.

To access the slide levers, that allow the reel tables to swing left and right towards the appropriate idler wheels for fast forward and rewind function, you need to remove the reel tables, these are held on by circlips on the underside of the deck - when removing them be sure to note the order of any washers that are fitted.

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread