UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2013, 10:38 am   #41
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Default Re: Akai 4000DS cam set

Okayy.. The akai 1710w, akai x2000sd, akai 1721, akai x1800sd.. these are some of the decks i have sorted. You dont need that exact play/rec cam. The machine will play and record fine without it. There is a spring lever at the back with a cam. Make sure that isnt broken or else you wont record. I have modified 3 akai reel to reels that had the play/rec cam broken and it works fine without it. To stop the tape, use the play/pause lever, To engage the tape with the heads, use the play/rec lever. Get the cam out and try it, Gurantee it will work. The only modification needed is if the cam at the back of the chassis for recording engagement is broken. You can cut one out of thick copper plate the same shape and put it on the rod and solder around it. It will work excellently. My 1710w has been working well for 3 years like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpUlZgNmjs
Old 7th Dec 2013, 12:02 am   #42
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose I was lucky as I bought my new replacement cams off ebay, so someone is reproducing them, I don't have the seller's name, lost it when my comp packed in.
Wal
Old 7th Dec 2013, 3:54 pm   #43
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

HSB, that's interesting, could you post some pictures of your modifications?

Wal, can't you log into eBay and look through your purchased items to work out who you got it from?

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 7th Dec 2013 at 4:03 pm.
Old 10th Dec 2013, 6:25 pm   #44
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.
This is the seller on ebay that sold me the cams ( 1964kg ) yes that's his user name.
Old 20th Apr 2015, 7:14 pm   #45
stevendawes50
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg1 View Post
Some time ago I read that one of the contributors to this forum was planning to come up with a solution to the perennial shattered Akai tape transport cam problem on the 4000DS and I believe on other mechanically operated Akai machines too.
I am still looking for the cams for my machine. If I can find the 3 I need, I will reproduce them in stainless steel on my CNC machine. Does anyone have any in fair shape, so I can scan them in 3D?

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Apr 2015 at 7:46 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 20th Apr 2015, 8:23 pm   #46
Station X

Which cams is it you need? I have produced CAD drawings for some of them.

You may find this thread of interest:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=54237

Problem with producing these on a CNC machine is the centre hole. See post #36.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread