UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2015, 12:58 pm   #1
Sauceration
Retired Dormant Member

Default privileg 600 dictaphone - remote/manual/monitor type

Hi!

I found this little fellow and was hoping to use it as a tape delay audio effect. But it seems like earphone monitoring is direct, and not after recorded signal. Monitor signal is also att full gain while using earphone and volume knob does not affect signal. Weird, who would like that? With internal speaker it works fine.

Maybe there is som tweaking possible by using the remote function (2.5 mm input female), but I can not find a description or picture of how it looks or what it is. Also I can not find a manual. And very little information at all. Privileg seems to make fridges now and have no legacy section

Any help on getting recorded signal monitored? And how to make a remote?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 2015-03-30 kl. 13.38.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	106265  
Old 30th Mar 2015, 2:24 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: privileg 600 dictaphone - remote/manual/monitor type

That machine probably uses a combined record and replay head, so no use to make a tape delay unit
Old 30th Mar 2015, 8:04 pm   #3
Sauceration
Retired Dormant Member

outch. I think I got it at a fair price anyway. Thanks.
Old 30th Mar 2015, 8:08 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauceration View Post
I found this little fellow and was hoping to use it as a tape delay audio effect. But it seems like earphone monitoring is direct, and not after recorded signal.
...and that surprises you? For what you propose, i.e. off tape monitoring, you need a three head tape deck, usually reel to reel or high end cassette. You're pretty much at the other end of the scale with that dictaphone!
Old 30th Mar 2015, 8:55 pm   #5
Sauceration
Retired Dormant Member

I was not really counting on success, but I had some thoughts where I hoped that off tape monitoring would be an artifact (edit: the delay) in most tape machines. I assumed that the recording and playback head always was separate. Well, how wrong one can be!! Haha. No more dictaphones.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 5:03 am   #6
suebutcher
Heptode

The big orange magnetic sheet-roll Ultravox dictaphone is good for tape effects. No delay, but the head can be moved manually so a recording can be scanned from end to end quickly, or left in one spot to replay a loop of sound.