UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2009, 5:08 pm   #1
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Default Help identifying an Air Ministry Amplifier

I have an Air Ministry 10U/9150 Amplifier Unit - does anyone know what these were used for and with what other equipment. Tracing the very simple circuit through underneath suggests that it should ahave a double triode valve of some sort in the valveholder on top of the chassis. the rear valveholder at the back of the chassis looks like it's for a connection harness for the input signal and the output to the next stage. HT and LT is via screw terminals on the top. As it's made from fairly thick gauge steel, I suspect that it's not from an aircraft and more likely from ground equipment.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AM Amp.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	27677  
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 7:06 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Help identifying an Air Ministry Amplifier

I've seen a number of little units like this but still can't say what they were for. The guesses are modulation amplifier or intercom amplifier, or perhaps for using a low-output microphone with something expecting an old carbon granule type.

You could try asking the RAF Hendon archive since you have the stores reference number for it.

Just because it's steel doesn't mean it's not for use in an aircraft!
Old 4th Aug 2009, 11:25 am   #3
Nostaticatall
Tetrode

Default Re: Help identifying an Air Ministry Amplifier

Thanks for the RAF Hendon suggestion - I've dropped them a line with the details. I'll post their reply should I receive one.

Steve
Closed Thread