UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2005, 9:54 am   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default best adhesive (or not) for grille cloth

the cloth has finally arrived for the SAC 31.

as it hasnt a baffle board the cloth was stuck directly to the inside of the cabinet.

it doesnt look to me like this will be an easy job to do and get looking right, does anyone have tips on the best way to do this, and what the best glue to use is, if any.

one of the options i was thinking of was to actally use the speaker to hold the cloth in place, that way I can stretch the cloth tight and then do the speaker nuts up.

thanks
Old 12th Mar 2005, 10:49 am   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: best adhesive (or not) for grille cloth

Hi Steve,

I would cut a piece of thick card to the shape needed, stretch the fabric over it (to give it tension) and hold it tight with sticky tape ot pins. Apply a contact adhesive to the cabinet and the edge of the fabric and when ready stick it to the cabinet When dry remove the card .

HTH

David
Old 12th Mar 2005, 11:55 am   #3
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

Copydex.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 12:12 pm   #4
octode
Retired Dormant Member

I use the cheap UHU adhesive and its fine on most things. I normally only apply it to the cabinet (not the cloth as well) spread it out, wait until its gone tacky and then fix the cloth.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 3:12 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've used a thin, clear, water soluble paper glue, which can be painted on with a brush. The local shop does big tubes for a quid.

I think you're far better off with a water soluble glue rather than Bostik or such, because they stick paper, cloth and wood effectively, and are fairly easy to dissolve later should that be necessary.

Pete.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 7:16 pm   #6
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

cheers, I have used some spray contact fabric adhesive Id forgotten I had, and its done the trick.

Liked the cardboard frame idea, I hed thought along these lines but as the fabric has a square waffle type pattern i found i couldnt stretch it equally.

in the end I carefully placed it by hand and it looks fine .
Old 13th Mar 2005, 9:37 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

3M do some spray adhesive that is used in car trimming for sticking fabric to fibreboard for door cards and the like. It is available from Woolies http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ or maybe your local motor factor. This is excellent for this job.

A close second is the white (PVA?) solvent-free stuff in a tube from B & Q, which is not really solvent-free - the solvent is water.
HTH
Old 13th Mar 2005, 9:11 pm   #8
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I have used a fabric glue from my local craft shop and this seemed fine. It is really intended for sticking sequins onto dresses so is quite robust, this is not important when the speaker is bolted over it. The general impression I got was that it is a latex type of product as it is a bit flexible and dries clear.
Old 7th Jun 2005, 6:45 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Exclamation Re: best adhesive (or not) for grille cloth

I've done a bit of experimentation, using some offcuts of "Tygan"-type cloth I bought from Sid Chaplin.

I applied a thin layer of Bostik Contact Adhesive to a piece of scrap ply, using a cheap paintbrush. It "dried" almost immediately, even though the weather was cool. I then applied the cloth, pressing it firmly into place.

I did the same using some Wickes PVA-based Wood Glue, applying it straight from the bottle's nozzle and spreading it thinly with a finger (messy but effective). Although the glue was still wet when I applied the cloth, none came through the front of it.

After 24 hours, the cloth could be peeled away rather too easily from the sample using contact adhesive, whilst the one that had been stuck using PVA wood glue was much more satisfactory.

So I think I'll be using wood glue from now onwards. Not what I'd expected really.

Nick.
Old 7th Jun 2005, 7:00 pm   #10
Aerodyne
Octode

I'll repeat emphatically what has already been said: COPYDEX. This latex based adhesive should be brushed onto both surfaces and allowed to dry to a touch-free state before the surfaces are brought together. I find it works better than anythingh else I've tried (and I've tried a lot of adhesives). Just make sure you don't brush it where the fabric shows - keep it to the edges as it will penetrate the weave.
Obtain from stationers, art shops and similar.
-Tony
Old 8th Jun 2005, 12:23 am   #11
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I have - and do - use all the adhesives mentioned to date in this thread, depending on the type and thickness of material which it is to adhere.

However, I've very often found that the original adhesive may be 'reused' in many cases. I will remove the wooden baffle complete with grille cloth to be discarded, apply steam from a saucepan or kettle to the fabric side of the baffle, peel off old cloth once adhesive has gone tacky, then apply the new cloth and adjust its position as necessary, then just wait for it to dry. It works in 90% of cases.
Old 8th Jun 2005, 9:17 am   #12
screengrid
Retired Dormant Member

I have found that 'BOSTICK' works extremely well.
Apply to the baffle only, allow to stand for 5 minutes and carefully position the cloth, pressing down and outwards (to tighten it) very gently; obviously.
The cloth will keep its taughtness and remain in position.
I do two sides at a time; rather than all four at once.
Old 8th Jun 2005, 12:50 pm   #13
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I've tried most of the adhesives mentioned so far, but Copydex seems to be the best, although the others can be effective in some cases. Recently I was faced with rebuilding the front cover of a Leak Sandwich loudspeaker, I cut out a new hardboard panel to replace the broken original. I tried various glues to fix the heavy cloth to the panel without much luck. The answer was one of those cheap "Hot Melt" glue guns, this stuff really sticks but you need to get it right as it sets in seconds. Great for heavy duty jobs like this though. .

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread