UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2018, 3:24 am   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Dynatron Nomad

This radio dates from 1959 and bears a strong similarity to early Roberts models, even using a pair of PP9 batteries and having a rotating cabinet. The Nomad was bought untested and burst into life when power was applied. I was able to tune in stations on both wavebands, however the sound level was a little low and lacking in bass, improving once the radio had been playing for about 5 minutes. I decided to change the seven Plessey red black and yellow electrolytics and this restored normal operation. It's hard to believe these radios are nearly 60 years old now. Those Ediswan top hat transistors are museum pieces in their own right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad #1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	174488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad #2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	174489  
Old 13th Dec 2018, 6:08 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Dynatron Nomad

!959 puts it a few years after the Hacker brothers sold the Dynatron business to Ekco, and the year they left their directorships to set up Hacker Radio ltd. So it must have been developed while they were still involved in Dynatron. I wonder if this model acted as inspiration for setting up Hacker?

Roberts entered the Dynatron scene by buying the rights to the name long after it had become just a flag of convenience for flogging tarted-up Pye models.

I wonder how the timing of the early Roberts portables fit in? I'm wondering if this model came out of early thinking by the Hackers.

David
Old 13th Dec 2018, 11:30 am   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.m View Post
I was able to tune in stations on both wavebands, however the sound level was a little low and lacking in bass, improving once the radio had been playing for about 5 minutes. I decided to change the seven Plessey red black and yellow electrolytics and this restored normal operation.
The gradually improving sound quality as the set was running means that you were probably actually hearing the effects of an old electrolytic re-forming as it was brought back into use.
Those Plessey electrolytics are a "change on sight" item as far as I'm concerned.
A nice acquisition! Tony.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 2:04 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.m View Post
It's hard to believe these radios are nearly 60 years old now.
Yes it is remarkable how little, if anything, needs doing to some of these sets to get them going again.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 6:13 pm   #5
martin.m
Hexode

I can remember as a child in the early 1960s being fascinated by transistor radios because they didn't need to "warm up".
Closed Thread