UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2018, 12:04 am   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default The Wilson TV

Just saw this - ex PM Harold Wilson's late wife, Mary, (who worked on Wirral too ) adjusting the TV!
Looks like a coin meter on top. Any observations as to model etc. welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mary wilson.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	164232  
Old 8th Jun 2018, 12:26 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: The Wilson TV

Can't help you with the TV but She was on Woman's Hour today Ben [ a Radio 4 recording ] re her poetry. Private Eye used to lampoon her [Mrs Wilson's Diary] but she came across very well I thought. Her description of finally finding the right word for a line [at last] reminded me of sorting a repair on a Forum thread

Dave
Old 8th Jun 2018, 1:42 am   #3
Synchrodyne
Nonode

The attached provides context but does not identify the make and model of the TV receiver involved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs & Roberts p.163.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	164233Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs & Roberts p.164.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	164234

Cheers,
Old 8th Jun 2018, 9:46 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

No idea of the TV. Probably a special.
That is an odd picture. During the early 60's the Wimbledon area was wired for 'Pay TV'
Large valve distribution amplifiers were bolted to the sides of buildings with a thick cable looped around the houses.

Some of these cables and rusted out distribution boxes were in place until recent years. The system never got off the ground so to speak and when Harold Wilson became Prime Minister in April 1964 the government ordered, giving reasons of customer affordability the closure of the unfinished system.

The control room was situated at the rear of the Telefusion [?] shop in Kingston Road, now Adams fish bar.

I was 16 at the time but remember this saga well. We lived at Chatsworth Avenue Merton Park and my mum signed a wayleave to allow the cable to be attached to the house. It never happened.

It just seems ironic to see the wife of the Prime Minister who's government put a stop to Pay TV, getting involved with it. All a long time ago.

Next time I travel through Wimbledon I will see if there is any trace of it left. John
Old 8th Jun 2018, 10:26 am   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

That circular badge/motif at the bottom left hand side of the TV does look very "Pye" to me.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 10:31 am   #6
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Around that time, I worked for British Relay Wireless (BRW) in South London. They had originally started out distributing radio programmes via a cable system to rented loudspeakers. By the time I worked for them, it was rented monochrome and later colour tv receivers, still using the balanced pair cable distribution system. The fourth pair of wires in the cable, at that time not required for a broadcast channel (we only had BBC1, 2 and ITV) were for a time used for Pay TV which used receivers and pay boxes remarkably similar to your picture. That set looks very much like one of the PYE monochrome cable receivers we rented, specifically a P24/9.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 1:25 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

I heard she was a fan of Crossroads, & supposedly tried to get Harold to persuade Thames to start showing it, as they stopped networking after the 1968 franchise changeover from Redeffusion.

I've heard that some early cable systems had a 2nd ITV region on the 4th channel, which would have been useful to her!
Old 8th Jun 2018, 4:56 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

I recall Bardwell's in Sheffield selling some set top boxes years ago. They looked more like a radio than the one in that photo, and were valved!
Old 9th Jun 2018, 6:22 pm   #9
Mikey405
Octode

I would suggest that it's an Invicta. Couldn't tell you the model number though.

Mike.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 9:41 am   #10
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Discussing this with a friend I'm told the set is a Pye made British Relay Mark 9 chassis a 23/9. It had a plug in Lopt which were very unreliable. The later Mark 10 was very similar with a STFE (Silicon Transistorised Front End) the earlier Mk9 had a germanium type. The last Mk 10 came with the 24 inch A61-120W tubes.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 9:55 am   #11
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
I forgot to add this to the last post. My friend also explained that a normal off air set could be used on the British Relay line by adding a Relaydapta that gave an RF output to the aerial socket of the TV. This was during the 405 line only era. When 625 was transmitted the off air TV could be modified with a VID box, it would supply baseband video and audio to the TV but the set had to be physically changed for this, the internal tuner and IF were made redundant.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 1:46 pm   #12
Richard_FM
Nonode

I was wondering if British Relay had any sort of adaptor box like Rediffusion, though this sounds like it worked the other way round.
Closed Thread