UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2007, 7:20 pm   #1
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool First complete tape recorder?

When & what was your first complete tape recorder, my first was the Editor A9 back in 1954, I did however have one of the original Reflectograph vari speed decks gradually built into a record/play unit.

Doffery
Old 24th Jul 2007, 7:32 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: first complete tape recorder.

Hi,
My first complete tape recorder would have been a Fidelity Argyll minor 4 (don't all laugh at once) which was used to "replace" my parents Fidelity Playmaster (which I had laid claim to some years earlier) after I copied a load of two track tapes on to a borrowed four - track machine and than had nothing to play them on don't ask, call it the folly of youth.

The Argyll minor was bought second hand around 1975/6, the playmaster came to live with us in around 1969.

As an adult my first complete tape recorder, and I suppose the one that counts, was a Philips N4504 purchased early 1979 from a local Comet branch (Stockton - on - Tees)

Andrew
Old 24th Jul 2007, 7:44 pm   #3
reelguy
Heptode

Good question, Doffery.
My first reel to reel tape recorder was a Sound 555.
Bought from Lewis's in Liverpool. Had to get my Mum and Dad to be Guarantors on the loan aggreement.
I think it cost 59gns.. { Not sure thats right}.Not sure what year it was .early 60s !.
It had the original Collaro deck.Came with a reel of tape, Instructions and a stethoscope headphone thingy..
Originally worked a treat but then developed various faults. Took it back loads of times for repair. They couldnt fix these new fangled things..
I ended up having a go myself and sorted it after a fashion.
I had so much fun with it though that I was hooked on Reel recorders after that.
I hope you didnt want us to be brief ?.
Peter W.........Reelguy
Old 24th Jul 2007, 7:58 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

The first tape recorder we had was the Korting, of which I've posted many pictures (inc my avitar)

When i was 12, I got a cassette recorder EL3302.

When I was 16 I got an Akai 4000DS, this proved somewhat unreliable so I replaced it with a Revox A77 MkIV Dolby which i still have and use today.

I later added a B77 HS.

I since ebay, I've managed to aquire a number of reel to reels, including Akai 3000D, Tandberg valved job (cant remember the model number), two Revox A700's and a few more Kortings!

Not quite like reel to reel man, my wife thinks its bad enough already!
Old 24th Jul 2007, 7:59 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

First cassette recorder... A cheap Waltham mains/battery affair which I "stole" off my parents when I was about 5.

First reel-to-reel... A Portadyne with BSR TD2 deck and valves, bought for 50p from a jumble sale in Maidstone in about 1984. Unusually powerful output compared with what I'd been used to, and sounded respectable when connected to a big old external speaker (albeit with little treble and quite a bit of hum).

First "hifi" cassette deck... A Sony TC-something. Top-loading, no Dolby, 3 big rectangular lights to indicate record, hi-filter and limiter. Two small illuminated MC level meters. Very reliable and sounded OK in spite of rather worn heads. Cost £2 at a jumble sale in Wimbledon in about 1986.

Nick.
Old 24th Jul 2007, 8:22 pm   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

My first tape recorder was an Elpico TR 702 in grey and black, a Christmas present in 1962, quite an expensive gift at the time for an 11 year old! Well used and abused until it was retired in 1971 when I got a new fangled Philips cassette recorder. I found some of my old tapes in the loft, so last year I retrieved the old Elpico from a cupboard, cleaned it up, replaced all the leaky Hunts and various deck parts so it now works again! Valueless, probably, A priceless rarity? Well it's only had the one owner...... .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elpico TR702.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	11101  

Last edited by mickjjo; 24th Jul 2007 at 8:47 pm.
Old 24th Jul 2007, 8:37 pm   #7
Andy1970
Retired Dormant Member

valve Sony 464 in 1981.when i was 11... Wish i could get hold of one now. Had the matching external amp / speaker with it.
Old 24th Jul 2007, 9:44 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
My first (after many hints to my parents) was a Grundig TK 124 - respect to them as I'd been dropping hints for the Fidelity Braemar which was the cheapest in Currys shop window. I was about nine, and made up rudimentary mixers and so on to use with it while I interviewed the dog and anything else!
Next came a Ferguson 3258 - a stereo unit with a vastly inferior deck - I couldn't believe how noisy it was after the Grundig.
Then I got a bit more serious - a B&O 2000 reel-to-reel for the various drama productions I was involved with, followed by (after much saving) a Revox A77/3 after the B&O's head went open-circuit, which was useful for recording bands live.
Now I've got a couple of A77s, a B77, a PR99, Ferrographs, B&Os, and a couple of Truvoxes and Tandbergs - also some Uhers and a nice portable Grundig thanks to a nice person on the forum!
Funny how these machines get in your blood - never had the same affection for cassettes (or MP3s, come to that!)
Glyn
Old 24th Jul 2007, 11:46 pm   #9
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Stela ST454.

I puchased this "through the company" when I worked for Rediffusion Research, in 1959. Clone of the Philips 3407? I still have it.

ALAN
Old 24th Jul 2007, 11:56 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well my first machine was given to me by a neighbour who it outlived. A Popular 400 - Elizabethan, TD2 Deck, 4 Track. It's got a counter, which is quite rare for this deck.

My second machine, which I also have, is a Majestic MK2. This too had the BSR Deck. Don't know who made it or where it came from. Also given me.

My third was a Philips EL3541. Still got this too. It had a fault where from cold it would make a motor boating noise on record. I didn't manage to fix this (age 8) but aged 34 I dug it out and fixed it. It was a resistor on the grid of the ECL82, which had gone from a high value to O/C.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 25th Jul 2007, 12:08 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

First r2r I had in the early 80s was my ma's fidelity playmaster 2 track, not out the attic long and the audio went so now that I was bitten by the bug, I got a Baird machine with the TD2 deck from a jumble sale for a pound. That worked quite well for a few years. About '87 got a Tandberg series 15-4 which I still have but is pretty knackered after having been my main machine (and used for all kinds of editing etc). for ages till was relieved by a pye 9137 (=Philips n 4407 ) bought for 20 quid in the early 90s

Now I have an Akai x355, grundig Tk 248, sony tc-766-2 , a russian stereo Elfa and a load of tandbergs.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 4:08 am   #12
TIMTAPE
Octode

My first was a 1959 Stuzzi Magnette,bought used in 1968 when I was a teenager. A little portable running off two 4.5v batteries, one for the motor and one for the electronics.
It had a wooden case, 2 speeds, half track, a magic eye, and ran 4" reels. Also germanium trasistors of course for that time. A pretty looking machine as well. I now wish I'd kept it.

Tim
Old 25th Jul 2007, 4:12 am   #13
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: first complete tape recorder.

In Reel-to-reel terms, mine was the Bush TP50, a nice example of a BSR deck with a decent amp and cabinet on it! This was about four years ago; bought it on ebay for 25 quid! Have leant it to a friend at the moment

I went through my fair share of cassette players and walkmans handed down from my brother from about the age of four though!

And nice avatar Doffery - I see you've got the little viking out of the Tandberg manuals!
Old 25th Jul 2007, 7:19 am   #14
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

My first machine was a ULTRA, simple machine, mono one speed with a wooden front speaker cover and a plastic covered case, the lid was padded on the outside, I really cant remember the model number.
I was given this recorder by my mother, I think I was 6 at the time.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 7:47 am   #15
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

My first tape recorder was a rather grim Fidelity 3 speed machine. Had some fun with it for a while. Then nothing until I got a Tandberg TCD310 cassette deck secondhand. Good machine and I've still got it.

I had access to a variety of machines at school. I particularly remember a Truvox with frighteningly fast rewind speed and an ex-BBC Uher 4000.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 8:00 am   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

R2R
Telefunken deck and preamp from language lab scrapped by colleague
Grundig 500L scrapped by customer who bought an EL3541
Ferrograph 4 scrapped by colleague - needed capstan motor rewind, which I did.
Ferrograph 5 (current) plus one with DIY amp from Tim. In Tuit pile.

Cassette
Cheap Crown cassette for computer use. Donated its mains Tx to fix breadmaker (!)
Pioneer CT500 deck bought new (current)
Old 25th Jul 2007, 11:17 am   #17
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

My 'actual' first tape recorder was a Wyndsor something or other, purchased new in 1967 after much saving and a little help from my dad, when I first went out to work. When I got it home my dad and I 'auditioned' it and decided that it was either rubbish or the orchestra all had cotton wool wrapped around their instruments. Back to the shop it went and I came away with an ULTRA 4-track 2-speed machine (sister machine to the Ferguson 3224 etc). This was an altogether better machine. This little beastie was used practically 24/7, 365 days a year for about 7 years, when it was passed on (still working merrily away) to a friend when I got more adventurous! For all I know it's still working..... If only all the kit I buy gave such fabulous service. I still have recordings I made on that machine and they are still very listenable.

I picked up an identical machine on Ebay the other week but I fear that it's condition won't warrant the necessary work. On the other hand, if anyone has a good track selector assembly for this model going spare, that scenario may well change!

Yes, these things DO get into your blood. My current favourite plaything is a Phillips N4504. I love the way it just gets on and does the business without throwing tantrums and demanding attention!

Current technology, though awesome, just doesn't have the 'magic'.

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 2:28 pm   #18
Rogers Openreel
Triode

Hi

My first tape recorder was a Baird which I purchased from a Radio Rentals shop in Southall High St in about 1964 I think?. It had a two tone blue casing with a BSR deck. It is still in the family with my brother. My brother's also had, at that time, recorders which were a Sony TC400 still working well and a Reps R10 that's long gone. I always remember the R10 and it's rewind speed.
In about 1982 I purchased a B77. and then abit later on a Teac X1000R. Both of these gave no problems at all. I still have the Teac in pristine condition.

Cheers Roger
Old 25th Jul 2007, 9:03 pm   #19
The General
Hexode

Well, my first was a Decca cassette I received as a Christmas present in the early 70's as a kid of 13. It's still in my mothers' house.
My first R2R was a 1/4 track Elizabethan with a BSR TD2 deck which I bought around 1976 from a kid at school for £4.
This was followed by a Philips EL3542 scrounged from the local friendly TV repair shop, once I'd fixed the clutch fault this machine gave sterling service for many years.
These were followed by several valve R2R machines (mostly Philips or Grundigs) bought, fixed & sold over the years. Just have one or two nice ones left for restoration: Grundig TK830/3D, Grundig 700L, Grundig TK46 (x2), Telefunken M85, Philips N4418.
I shall get round to them one day......
Mark.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 3:15 pm   #20
Cformat
Retired Dormant Member

Mine was a Geloso G256/E, which was really rather nice if you didn’t want to record music on it (I did). It ended up being a rather expensive machine as it started my lifelong interest in tape recorders and Hi-Fi. If my dad had bought me the best Ferrograph (which I wanted!) I would be a wealthy man…
Closed Thread