UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2018, 11:33 pm   #41
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: First pressings

Quite right! I have some terrible CDs and great records.......and vice versa.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 9:14 pm   #42
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Who would I contact to trace where original recordings (tapes, discs, stampers etc) are stored.
I've often found that original masters from less well known artists have been sent off to be cut onto vinyl and then never seen again. The artists see the master tape as just an intermediate stage to the final product - the vinyl record - and don't bother to ask for the return of the tape.

Major labels will have their own archives but I'm not sure that they would be keen to fund a new transfer when they have what they consider to be a perfectly good digital version immediately available. Some material may have deteriorated so much that only one transfer would have been possible. They would need a pretty good reason to give someone access to the original material if it still exists.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 9:01 am   #43
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for that, I should point out it is not for me personally.
As a member of a “fan club” of an America artist, who sadly passed away far too young, who had many hit records, there is talk of releasing a new vinyl LP, apparently “the American market is interested “.
Many CD’s have been released over the years and I am aware that these have been made from other CD-R or similar, as mentioned in previous posts.
I am not suggesting in any way that they are poor quality but if a new record was to be made I’d like to think that every effort would be made to keep it analog as much as possible.
This may be “pie in the sky” thinking from me but if you don’t ask..!
Cheers
John
Closed Thread