UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2016, 7:39 pm   #41
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-veneering a hifi receiver

Thanks Paul! Actually, with my choice of Indian Rosewood veneer, I wasn't particularly aiming to get either a period correct or a direct replacement look for what was already there, I was looking for something a bit more exotic and and kinda upmarket. But yes, the 'colour' looks good I think, and if it's period correct then I'm not complaining about that. I mean, should I ever get rid of the finished receiver - I've no plans to do that - I would be totally straight - proud even - about having re-veneered it. Thanks.
Old 10th Dec 2016, 12:25 am   #42
unitaudio
Heptode

I'd tell anyone who'd listen I'd re-veneered that whether I was selling it or not!

Regards,
Paul
Old 11th Dec 2016, 12:15 pm   #43
stevehertz
Dekatron

The second side is now lacquered and both sides' inner panel edges have received a second coat of the stained lacquer in order to better match the veneered sides. See photo below of the now lacquered second side taken outdoors for better effect/accuracy.

I will say however that using a new type of lacquer has been an absolute revelation. In the past - like since 1975 - I've always used polyurethane type lacquers such as Ronseal and the many 'house brand' copies. Using that stuff, I was never able to achieve a constant thickness of coating, and on examination after each coat I could generally see undulations and/or different amounts of grain sinkage. Yep I tried all manner of brushes and techniques over the years including applying it with a rag. The latter was better on large areas but - clearly - problematic on intricate ones. I achieved some good results using poly, but it required a lot of time and effort after application to get it flat and even etc.

A few weeks ago, needing to lacquer a veneered (old Contiboard) shelf, I discovered 'Wilko Quick Dry Varnish' for interior wood. When I bought it I thought I was just buying a cheaper alternative to Ronseal's (and others') normal, poly type stuff. No, it's very different! When you open the tin it looks like Fussell's condensed milk, and it goes on just the same (not that I've tried FCM for that purpose, but you know what I mean). It takes just an hour to go truly touch dry and over that period the milky appearance disappears leaving a beautiful, even coating. Its self levelling qualities are simply amazing. Whereas with poly I would have probably applied 3 or 4 coats with a considerable amount of waiting time and careful sanding inbetween, this new stuff only needs a basic light sanding, and I'll only need a couple of coats to achieve the effect that I'm looking for. The photo below is just one coat. BTW, I'm using the clear, matt version as I want a natural wood effect as much as possible, but you can get gloss, satin and stained versions too. Time will tell how tough it is, but it says on the tin, 'Ultra Tough', and it does feel tough to touch and handle. Brushes are just washed out with soapy water and are flexible to use again, no signs of stiffness due to sticky, remaining lacquer. This will be my preferred choice of lacquer for indoor projects from now on.

My next post will show both side panels, effectively finished. The long awaited top panel will be veneered at that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010476.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	134205  
Old 11th Dec 2016, 2:16 pm   #44
stevehertz
Dekatron

Here's a photo of a side panel, about an hour after application of lacquer. The photo is taken without flash in order to see the natural sheen of the surface. As a result there's some camera shake due to the long exposure, but you can see the levelling qualities of the lacquer with no signs whatsoever of brush strokes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010479.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	134213  
Old 11th Dec 2016, 2:36 pm   #45
Radio Wrangler

The colour is pretty much dead on for the period, and the grain is a bit more interesting without being distracting. I think you've got what you were hoping for.

I've got to do a bit more work on the side-cheeks for my B261 tuner. The originals were grey plastic and are missing from mine because it was rack-mounted by the BBC. So I bought some solid oak and I've been playing with the planer, saw and router. I've just got the rebates to do to give access to the ends of the removable acrylic cover and then the varnish.

Not original but nice. I'm looking for a B252 to go with it, but that would probably come with the plastic side covers, so I'll make sure I have some more oak ready.

David
Old 11th Dec 2016, 4:37 pm   #46
ms660
Dekatron

I like the end grain continuity effect in post#43, the rest looks very good too, it'll look the part for sure.

I used that milky varnish stuff for our house DIY, never had no problem with it, laid four coats on the floor boards in one day and was able to walk on it by the end of the shift, no problem, the older it gets the tougher it seems to get.

Lawrence.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 5:10 pm   #47

To lacquer a flat surface I spray ordinary car 'clear coat' in abundance and sit there for a while tilting the thing to keep the coat even until it drys enough to stay still. One coat and a very shiny finish.

Old 11th Dec 2016, 6:54 pm   #48
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I've got to do a bit more work on the side-cheeks for my B261 tuner. The originals were grey plastic and are missing from mine because it was rack-mounted by the BBC. So I bought some solid oak and I've been playing with the planer, saw and router. I've just got the rebates to do to give access to the ends of the removable acrylic cover and then the varnish.
David, you must give us a restoration commentary with photos, that sounds like an interesting project on a prestigious set.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 6:56 pm   #49
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
I like the end grain continuity effect in post#43, the rest looks very good too, it'll look the part for sure.
Thanks Lawrence. More by luck than intention with that end grain matching! However I did 'invert' the two side panel top strips so that they are mirror images veneer pattern wise.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 7:00 pm   #50
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
To lacquer a flat surface I spray ordinary car 'clear coat' in abundance and sit there for a while tilting the thing to keep the coat even until it drys enough to stay still. One coat and a very shiny finish.
Makes sense to me, good ploy. In my case, when I apply a new coat to those three surfaces of the side panels, I don't have that ability, as at least one surface is vertical, and trying to run. I could of course lacquer them individually, but then the corners would not be so 'fluid' and neat.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 2:41 pm   #51
stevehertz
Dekatron

Oh, another point about that 'new' lacquer. In past when using polyurethane lacquer, no matter how hard I tried to clean brushes, I would always end up with 'nibs' in the surface of newly applied coats. It's small fragments of dried and semi dried lacquer stuck in the brush. It's a pain when you're trying for one final, glossy coat, as in general I'd have to rub it down to remove the many nibs again. However, with this quick drying, milky lacquer, as I mentioned, the brushes clean very easily in hot soapy water, and so when you apply a fresh coat of lacquer, the surface is 'perfect'; no nibs whatsoever.

I've just applied a second coat to 'side two', making two coats on each side now. I reckon I'll lightly rub them down again (nothing drastic) and apply a third and final coat to them, then I can begin work on the top. A few more days and I should be done - on the cabinet..
Old 12th Dec 2016, 4:03 pm   #52
unitaudio
Heptode

When you've finished the cabinet work and the chassis is performing at it's best once again, you know what's going to happen don't you? You'll set it up and you'll go "The record deck looks scruffy beside the receiver now...Here we go again..."

Regards,
Paul
Old 12th Dec 2016, 7:38 pm   #53
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well, nice guess Paul, but my Garrard 401/SME 3009 sits on a custom made plinth by myself made in around 1991 and comprising mahogany chipboard - cut at 45 degrees - joined and strengthened with corner fillets, damped with Wilmslow Audio damping panels, lacquered by own fair hands and a custom made smoked perspex heated & shaped dust cover to boot.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 2:49 am   #54
unitaudio
Heptode

Ah, now I know why it was so important for the receiver to look the part. I bet the dust cover wasn't cheap...

Regards,
Paul
Old 13th Dec 2016, 7:17 am   #55
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The Wilco lacquer will be acrylic base as opposed to spirit base, low VOC.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 9:13 am   #56
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitaudio View Post
Ah, now I know why it was so important for the receiver to look the part. I bet the dust cover wasn't cheap...
A friend in the advertising industry knew a company that made those perspex brochure holders and all that kind of stuff for use at exhibitions. I gave him the measurements and he got it made for me. It's an inverted, flat, 'U' section top with the two sides panels expertly glued in place. I could have attempted to make one myself but I imagined lots of tears, lots of glue, smudged perspex, a wonky fit and an overall amateurish job - so I didn't. I don't recall what it cost, although it wasn't 'the earth', my mate probably called in a favour to get it done cheaply for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
The Wilco lacquer will be acrylic base as opposed to spirit base, low VOC.
Thanks Sam.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 2:54 pm   #57
stevehertz
Dekatron

I just dropped the chassis and front panel in place to see if those narrow inner edges look the correct colour when viewed in situ, 'as they will be seen'. Note that there's lots of sanding dust in the photos, so don't be too critical of the overall effect, it's just a quick colour test. Anyway, I'm going with one more stained coat on the inner edges. Like I said before, trying match a veneer with as many variations as this Indian rosewood is impossible using one colour, so I have to go with a hue that's kinda midway between the lightest and darkest parts of the veneer, and one more coat will give me that I think. I've also attached a full, 'sneak preview' shot just to see how it's coming along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010480.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	134329   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010481.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	134330   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010483.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	134331  

Last edited by stevehertz; 13th Dec 2016 at 3:00 pm.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 3:09 pm   #58

I think black would work well for those minor reveals, try with a bit of paper first. A felt pen is easy to use and would leave a bit of 'grain' behind to fool the eye. And it would complement the aluminium too.

Last edited by Guest; 13th Dec 2016 at 3:12 pm. Reason: Added another idea

Old 15th Dec 2016, 4:32 pm   #59
stevehertz
Dekatron

Both side panels are now finished. Three coats of lacquer and the quality of the finish due to that 'new' lacquer I used has exceeded my expectations. From the long piece of veneer that I had left I have selected a section for the top - see photo. I need to get outside to cut it accurately and also to sand it (prior to gluing in place, when I won't be able to) to remove the lathe marks, but it's dark and rainy outside, so have to wait.. The rear 10cm of the veneer will be lost to fit the top, and a short, 6mm or so strip along the front of the top will also be left 'bare' to accommodate the metal front panel into which the top panel slots. So when it's done that nice, deep coloured, banded section at the front of the veneer will nicely match the side panels, and that 'eye' in the veneer will sit equidistant between the two side panels, creating a balanced look. I'm getting there, sorry it's taking so long!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010484.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	134447  
Old 15th Dec 2016, 10:53 pm   #60
unitaudio
Heptode

Looking good because you haven't rushed it.

Regards,
Paul