UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2011, 7:09 pm   #1
eric8650
Pentode

Default No Record. Beocord 2000 delux

Hi all can anybody tell me if there is anything else to check before I condem the record head.

Nice signal going into the machine.

0.3 volts ac recording bias on the head.

Plenty of audio reaching the head.

Erasing ok.

What else accept the head.

Seems strange to me that it will not put anything on the tape at all.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 28th Oct 2011, 7:25 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: No Record. Beocord 2000 delux

Is this a 2- or 3-head deck?

If 2-head, and the record/play head is faulty, then there will be no playback.

If 3-head, you could try temporarily connecting the play amplifier to the record head and seeing if you can get a signal from a tape. (It may be weak or distorted, due to impedance mismatch; on most 3-head decks, the record and play heads are not identical. But you should hear something at least, if the head is OK.)

If you test the head for continuity, only use a digital meter - analogue ones use enough current to leave the head partially magnetised, and this will gradually ruin your tapes (they will get quieter with successive listens; guess how I discovered this).
Old 28th Oct 2011, 7:37 pm   #3
eric8650
Pentode

Thanks AJS.

Its a 3 head stereo deck. The playback head reads 30 odd ohms on a digital meter. the record head just over 1 ohm. Nerver had a head pack up completly like this. Very unusual.

Regards Dave
Old 28th Oct 2011, 8:29 pm   #4
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Is the playback switch in the correct position?

Colin.
Old 28th Oct 2011, 8:35 pm   #5
eric8650
Pentode

Yes All the switches are OK.

Have just disconnected the record head completly. Found the cause - both windings o/c.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave
Old 29th Oct 2011, 6:16 am   #6
ricard
Octode

Beocords use Bogen heads, and it's not uncommon for them to go o/c. I've seen it occur more frequently with high-impedence heads used in valve recorders. I was hoping it wouldn't happen with the low-impedence heads used in transistorized machines, but it seems I was wrong.

I'm wondering if some fault in the recording circuitry could cause excessive current to pass through the heads thereby burning out the windings?

Regarding magnetizing the heads by passing DC through them: a good demagnetization with a defluxer will cure that.

One thing I noticed with the 2000 DL is that playback head is actually floating at a couple of volts above (or possibly below) ground, so if you accidetally short-circuit one of the connections to the playback head to ground, you can end up with a magnetized head. It happened to me and was actually the first time I experienced the results of playing back a tape with a magnetized head - it leaves a very characteristic low-level rumbling noise on the tape due to the DC magnetization.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 1:35 pm   #7
eric8650
Pentode

Thanks for your input ricard.

Yes I had the same thoughts as to what caused both windings on the head to go o/c. Having spent hours looking at the circuit I cannot find anything that would cause this. There is a good AC bias voltage on them and they are fed from 2 seperate record aamplifiers.

My only other thoughts are that there is a fare amount of rust on the external metalwork of this recorder so I wonder if its been stored in damp conditions.

Thanks for your help.

PS. Anybody know of a sauce for a new Bogen record head for this machine?

Dave
Old 29th Oct 2011, 3:50 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
This is sadly a very common fault on this machine - I have had it happen myself. I don't think any other head will do, I'm afraid. I think it's due to corrosion in the head itself, but I'm not sure.
Did I see someone with a machine for sale in the 'offered' section? I have a couple of machines that are in quite a bad way - if you're stuck I can investigate and see if I have a good head, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Glyn
Old 29th Oct 2011, 4:05 pm   #9
eric8650
Pentode

Hi Glyn

Would be appreciated if you could have a look for me.

Don't hold out much hope of getting one from anyware else.

Regards Dave
Old 29th Oct 2011, 4:56 pm   #10
smartalec
Tetrode

Talking Re: No Record. Beocord 2000 delux

Hi Eric,

I have a Beocord 2000 Deluxe which I am selling for spares or repair. It comes with built in amplifier and speakers built into lids. Also has a perspex cover in excellent condition and two microphones.Am asking £25, if interested give me a shout.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 5:02 pm   #11
eric8650
Pentode

Hi Smartalec

Yes would like to buy it off you.

Not to far away in Skegness.

Dave
Old 29th Oct 2011, 5:21 pm   #12
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

As Eric is now getting another machine we'll close this thread.