UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2011, 10:48 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Akai 4000D

Hello
Just been checking over an Akai 4000D and noticed the FF wind function died to a standstill before it got to the end of the tape.
On inspection I found the idler wheel was not engaging squarely on the motor capstan or the spool hub.
There was a piece of metal that was floating round and had a hole in it and a hole underneath.
When I pressed down on this the idler wheel set square on the spool hub and the capstan.
I have put a small bolt through the hole to fix the metal plate, shown in photo.
The FF now works much better, full speed to the end of the tape.
Please can anyone confirm if this is normally bolted down as I have done.
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	akai_missing_bolt.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	57881  
Old 28th Oct 2011, 1:21 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Akai 4000D

As I recall the usual cause of failure of FF is disintegration of the activating cam underneath. If your cam is still OK and it's only the bolt issue you mention you're probably lucky.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 7:50 pm   #3
Yarraman
Tetrode

Default Re: Akai 4000D

What you have done looks logical to me. The FF/RW CAM looks as good as new too
Closed Thread