UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2009, 3:16 am   #1
CloneRanger
Retired Dormant Member

Question Help buying/identifying Bush Radiogram

Hey i'm new to this scene so i aint got a clue sorry, i've been looking an old radiogram my friends grandad is selling and was wondering if you would help me identify the model and tell me if it worth the asking price that he wants?

ok the radiogram is in a large wooden cabinet with 2 doors on the front and a large speaker that stretches the width of the cabinet at the bottom.

the inside is split into 2 halfs in the left half there is a record player at the top (able to play 78's if that helps?) and storage underneath and in the right side there is a radio with low, med, high, vhf i think? the radio has 5? large white buttons under the radio dial, large round volume/tuning at either side and base/treble controls. and a visible vacuum tube through a small windowand under the radio there is storage underneath but this time broke into sections

i hope someone can help

also attached some drawings of what it sortof? looklike ps i did them in MS paint with my mouse lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush out.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	27347   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush open.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	27348  
Old 21st Jul 2009, 8:58 am   #2
davidw
Heptode

Default Re: Help buying/identifying Bush Radiogram

Try and get a look at the back where there will be a label with numbers on it. These may help us identify it. It looks vaguely seventies to me so probably not worth a lot. How much is he asking for it?
Old 21st Jul 2009, 9:42 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Looks late 50s rather than 70s to me, perhaps one of these https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ush+srg&page=2 (photos at bottom of page). Still no particular monetary value unless somebody happens to want one. Radiograms are delightful things to have around, but not that many people have been persuaded yet

Regards,
Paul
Old 21st Jul 2009, 11:07 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Hi
It will be an RG66 if it's mono, or an SRG86 if it's stereo. If it has a little round push button which operates the internal light, and is operated by closing the left - hand door, then it's the SRG86.
I have one of these, and if working correctly, they are superb machines, tons of bass, and solid as a rock. The problem with all these old grams is that it probably has not been serviced since new (1960), and will require various components to be replaced, even if it is working ok at the moment. To have this done professionally is not cheap. I paid £90.00to have mine completely overhauled, and the result is truly amazing, and worth it, as I only paid £12.00 for the radiogram originally. Also bear in mind that if it is the mono RG66
it may well still have the original cartridge in it, and you will not be able to play stereo records without damaging them, so a new stereo - compatible cartridge will have to be fitted, which, depending on the autochanger fitted, can be problematic in itself, because of the shape of the headshell. Bear all this in mind when negotiating a price, and if you can get it for a reasonable sum, spend the money on it, and you'll end up with a beautiful, reliable machine that will give you good service and pleasure for years.

Barry
Closed Thread