UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2009, 9:17 pm   #1
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default HMV 101 Found on council tip.

Hi.
My neighbour that lives across the road works at the local council tip.
He spotted a black box that had been dumped into the skip, being the lad he is pulled it off and promptly put it in his boot.
He occasionally comes across to me with old valve radios, but he was surprised to see a gramophone in the "box" when he got home.
I now have it for a smal donation to his "fag" fund
This 101 has to be one of the first with the handle on the side possibly around 1926, my own one dates from 1929, todays find is working perfectly the rexine is OK but the nickel is slightly dull and the handle has seen better days.
It's sad though that this nice old gram could have been landfill, I just wonder who chucked it out?
Cheers.
Trevor

My 101 is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04686.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	27338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04687.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	27339   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04689.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	27340  
Old 20th Jul 2009, 9:59 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 101 Found on council tip.

Well saved!
It beggars belief what people class as rubbish
I have had some good finds in skips etc, wish i had an eagle eyed neighbour like yours!

Mark
Old 20th Jul 2009, 10:05 pm   #3
neil29
Heptode

Again nice to see it did not get destroyed. and i wish i could find some interesting items in skips. as all i find is literally rubbish . cheers neil.
Old 20th Jul 2009, 10:23 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Trevor, What a find! I have had a few lucky finds in skips but never something as old as that, unfortunately we live in a throw away society and often if someone dies the house gets cleared and a lot of stuff gets dumped!
A while ago I rescued a very nice Bush Radiogram from a bomfire, I was too late to save an early 50s tv. all that remained was the chassis full of melted valves. The owner had just inherited a house so couldn't be bothered with selling its contents "for a few quid". I gave her kids £10 for the radiogram to compensate them for the disapointment of not being able to smash it up and burn it!
A lucky find! I wish I had a mate like that!
Rich.
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 10:42 pm   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I have now stripped down the motor and cleaned off all the old grease, the spring has also been dismantled cleaned of old lubricant and re-oiled, this had resulted in quieter running and a slightly longer running time with no "bumping" from the motor.
I have also cleaned and lubricated the arm pivot and bearing. In other words the machine has been serviced.
A good clean up has been done and it looks quite nice now, I would like the nickel to look better though and a new or better carry handle would be a nice finishing touch.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:00 am   #6
qualityten
Octode

At the risk of straying too far off topic, I'm always delighted to hear of such recoveries. Our (Wilts) council has a draconian policy at our 'recycling centre': you cannot buy, beg or remove anything. They have heavies there policing this and are unashamed at the fact that this promotes landfill and not recycling. Associations like ours could well lobby local and central govt on such ignorantly destructive policies.

When I last went, they refused my offer to buy some high quality Scandinavian loudspeakers and tossed them into the skip, because they were not 'well known hifi' like Sony or Technics.

We need local places where people can donate vintage items like this, for resale to benefit a local charity. Anyone got time and an empty barn?
David
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 10:32 am   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualityten View Post
We need local places where people can donate vintage items like this, for resale to benefit a local charity.
Absolutely. If anyone wants to start a new thread on this one I'd be extremely interested.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:27 pm   #8
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

We do seem to have wandered away from the original gramophone which started this thread.

We have had a number of previous threads on this and allied subjects so the moderators would question the need for another one.

Regards,