UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2009, 11:15 pm   #1
coupedave
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush Arena RTA2000 opinions sought.

Hi I've not been on here before but hello everyone!!!
My grandad has just given me what used to be his pride and joy, an early 70's Bush Arena RTA2000 system, complete with original stand, manual and wharfedale speakers!!!
It's in excellent condition and I remember many a sunday morning listening to him playing his records on it!!!
just got to find somewhere suitable at home for it now!!!
How are these systems rated on here, are they well thought of

Dave
Old 15th Jul 2009, 11:13 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush Arena RTA2000 opinions sought.

Well Bush stuff is generally OK, although in my opinion underrated. With Wharfedale speakers it will sound great.

www.musonic.co.uk for a stylus.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 3:55 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Arena was a Danish HiFi manufacturer that was taken over by the (British company) The Rank Organsiation, circa 1970. Rank already owned Bush, Murphy and Wharfedale in the UK.

If the Bush Arena equipment you have was actually made in Denmark (it should say so on the item somewhere), then it is probably good quality gear. However, if it is simply UK made "Bush" audio equipment, then it's unlikely to be as good - though not "tat"!

You should bear in mind that, given the equipment is very old, it will probably require an overhaul, in order to get the best results (e.g. at least a new stylus on the record player turntable).

I just happen to have a "Bush Arena" brochure which contains details of the RTA2000 (which sold in 1973 for £127.09 including VAT).

The RTA2000 was made in Denmark and is fitted with a (Swiss made) Lenco B55 transcription record deck (player) and a Goldring G800E cartridge. Amplifier power output 15W rms per channel, 20-20000Hz frequency response (within 3dB), less than 0.6% harmonic distortion. VHF / FM radio tuner covers 88 - 108 MHz, with stereo decoder and pushbutton station selection (varicap tuning). There is no AM radio facility. The (UK made, Wharfedale) speakers have three drive units, 50-20000Hz frequency range, 5 Ohm impedance and power handling of 25Watts (DIN).

Looking at the photos, it's very smart! I'd say it's well worth an overhaul and then enjoy it - to look at and to listen to!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dazzlevision

Last edited by dazzlevision; 15th Jul 2009 at 4:06 pm.
Old 16th Jul 2009, 6:20 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi if you have problems ie, 1 channel low? it may be the other to high? i change all the small electrolitic capactors i think most are 10uf, regds Mick.
Old 18th Jul 2009, 11:24 pm   #5
coupedave
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the replies!
My grandad looks after this meticulesly and it does indeed have the Lenco deck
Closed Thread