UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2011, 1:48 pm   #1
kelvinmunson
Pentode

Default Lamp To Illuminate Cassette Deck Display

The display on my Yamaha KX-300 cassette deck is not illuminated and having had a look inside it looks to me as if the lamp has been removed ?

Couple of pics below show the PCB and in the pic on the right, under "54" looks like an empty lamp holder bearing the code 103 (or 703) ?

Can anybody advise if this is correct and what part I need to illuminate the display ? Is it possible to identify a lamp from the holder ?

Would it be a miniature wedge type lamp ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	58518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3145.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	58519  
Old 10th Nov 2011, 2:11 pm   #2
Vicboduk
Hexode

Default Re: Lamp To Illuminate Cassette Deck Display

That is not a lamp holder it is a preset potentiometer with a value of 10k Ohm.
Seeing that there are two of them on that board I would guess that they are there to calibrate the left and right channels of the VU meter. It was very common for LED VU meters NOT to be back lit. It is most likely that there never was a back light!

Vic
Old 10th Nov 2011, 2:11 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The component under the number 54 isn't a lamp-holder at all but is a "pre-set" variable resistor, which will be intended for the adjustment of something or other in that area of the circuit.

The 103 indicates that this pre-set has a resistance value, along the length of its track, of 10 Kilohm's; The digit 3 at the end being the multiplier which indicates the number of noughts after the preceding digits.

Regards

Andrew
Old 10th Nov 2011, 2:18 pm   #4
kelvinmunson
Pentode

Thanks for that, it's not easy to use the deck with no backlight as the nomenclature and scales are not visible. I'll have to use a torch.
Old 10th Nov 2011, 2:22 pm   #5
paulsherwin

An LED bargraph like that should light itself, as with any LED. If it's completely dark then you have a fault somewhere.
Old 10th Nov 2011, 2:48 pm   #6
kelvinmunson
Pentode

Thanks Paul, I wasn't sure. I will investigate !
Closed Thread