UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2011, 3:38 pm   #21
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Cassettes still in use.

Blooming ek !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4148.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	58010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4149.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	58011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4150.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	58012  
Old 31st Oct 2011, 3:50 pm   #22
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjkmannering View Post
I had one similar to number 3 as a christmas present in 1978. Can't remember the make (I was 6!) but remember it being used to record the top 40, on its side, direct from a Sony music system speaker.
It later served as tape storage for my ZX81. Load, rewind, clean head, adjust head and try again!
It was worse with the Spectrum, Manic Miner would almost load before crashing and then there would be the 20 minute wait whilst you had annother go....
Rob
I had the same for my Spectrum. I think it was a hand-me-down from my (actually younger) sister or something. While I had it the cover over the heads quickly got torn off so i could easily get at the head azimuth. It was actually not that hard to set the proper azimuth even when (or perhaps thanks to) listening through the Spectrum loudspeaker; just twist for maximum treble (or 'clarity'). The cassette carrier broke rather early on also so I always popped the cassettes directly into the well. It worked very well though, the mechanism seemed rather durable for such a basic machine, considering the amount of bursty fast forwarding and reversing I did while hunting for files on Spectrum data tapes. I actually had it out a couple of months ago while looking for an old file, and it was still working.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 4:10 pm   #23
reelguy
Heptode

Two more pics. PW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4151.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	58013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4153.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	58014  
Old 31st Oct 2011, 4:16 pm   #24
reelguy
Heptode

Three more PW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4152.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	58016   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4154.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	58017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4155.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	58018  
Old 31st Oct 2011, 4:38 pm   #25
reelguy
Heptode

Final pic hopefully. I'm having one of those days.

One pic should show the reason for the cassette mcs. The actual recordings are different .Interviews at different times etc.and you can choose which cassette to listen to. So yes, Eject is required . Thats the reason for the circular slot at the rear of the recorders.
Hope the pics show the models and makes OK.
Mcs are fastened down for security reasons so I wasn't able to examine them more thoroughly.
,Dave Walsh,Pics taken on a warm October day. Hope its not to chilly up in the North West ....
Regards Peter W...........
.Reelguy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4156.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	58025  
Old 31st Oct 2011, 5:33 pm   #26
Jim_746
Pentode

Arg! Cassette recorder envy! I wonder what they will with them when the exhibition finishes.

Regards,

Jim
Old 31st Oct 2011, 5:50 pm   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Going to view it all in person this week Peter. Jim, if the machines aren't in fact integral to the Exhibition [I suspect they are] will ask about there disposal? I'll tell them they have created an unintended stir but to be quite honest I usually get a blank look at the Pavillion. Might be the Lanky accent.
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 31st Oct 2011 at 5:55 pm.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 6:33 pm   #28
threeseven
Octode

I still listen to cassettes sometimes for the pure nostalgia of handling physical music media ! I have a Denon high end auto reverse deck, don't recall the model number of hand, a Pioneer CTF9191 high end deck and also have a Philips full logic control AV deck and my car is old enough to have a cassette head unit combined with a 10 disc CD in the boot.
I still have many of the cassettes I once played in my youth, obviously recorded from vinyl, they still sound good now !
Also have a Sony Mini Disc deck but thats another story !
Old 31st Oct 2011, 9:03 pm   #29
reelguy
Heptode

Re What will happen to Mcs after the exhibition...
My guess is that the exhibition will move to another part of the country.

I can't remeber what cassette recorders I have apart from the philips EL3300 models mentioned elswhere.And a TEAC cassette recorder somewhere. .
Will have to see .
I have to admit that I am surprised that the mention and pics have been of so much interest.
Regards Peter...Reelguy.
REEL to REEL
Closed Thread