UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2009, 2:34 pm   #1
DJ_Dan_Sette
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard 2025TC problems.

HI -First posting. So thanks in advance. I have done searches and it seems you guys know lots about this model. I am actually trying to fix this for a friend but dont know much about what I am doing.

I have downloaded the service manual and it seems that some of the problems i can TRY and fix through this - For instance when set to auto the arm just leaps off the stand and misses everything completely! (even LP's) - I have now broken the stylus by doing this (nice start) So have ordered a new one. I take it from the service manual that this could be because the selector is out of position. Now I am not sure what the selector actually DOES so can someone enlighten me as to the CORRECT position it SHOULD be in...

Also records fail to drop from the spindle so is this causing the problem also..?

thanks...
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 8:04 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC problems.

Hi and welcome.
Not sure what you mean by "selector" Can you elaborate a bit?
As to records not dropping, the first thing to check is that the spindle has a clip holding it in place. This should be immediately on top of the turntable centre, and is about 5/8" diameter. If this is there, make sure the spindle is pushed fully down, so that it clicks into place.There is a "flat" section on the base of the spindle, which should correspond to the straight side of the clip, when viewed from above. If the clip is missing, the spindle will not operate properly.
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 8:18 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Just struck me, that of course you refer to the size selector! (The vaguely right-angled plastic bit next to the overarm.)Although if this is not working correctly, the arm would just sail across the record to the centre, not fly across and take the stylus out! Firstly, you need to get the deck out and look underneath, You will see that the size selector is attached to a spindle which has a little plate about half way down. There should be a spring attached to the plate, about two inches long, with a hooked end, which is then attached to the upper left hand part of the mechanism. Is the spring there? If it's not, that's the problem, or part of it.

Barry
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 11:51 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Garrard 2025TC problems.

If the deck hasn't been used for some time it is possible that bushes can seize with hardened grease. The underside of the arm should be moved by hand to see just what other parts move, or if the selector arm is not moving freely. It is not always obvious which part should move in relation to another, if a bush is seized it will have to be prised apart and regreased, I used Castrol LM grease, which is as good as any, on the deck in the picture when the bush directly under the pickup arm had seized preventing the arm from fully going across the record. And then regularly use the player.

If any parts have to be removed it is a good idea to draw or take a picture of the part and how it was taken off so it goes back in the right place. Also keep the stylus protective cap in place or remove the stylus when doing any work on the deck to avoid further breakage.

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srp51deck1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	26965  
Old 11th Jul 2009, 4:35 am   #5
record-changer
Retired Dormant Member

Note that it WILL do this if you try to cycle the changer by moving the turntable by hand with the power switch off. The parts are not in the right place. The power switch must be on for the arm to index correctly. It drove me bonkers the first time I saw it.
Old 20th Jul 2009, 4:46 pm   #6
TwilightZone
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Good thread
I'm having a nightmare converting a 2025TC to auto cahanger from 2 decks. Everything looks as it should be, took loads of pics, also pics of others 2025TC's. Problem 1. the small sprung lever for engaging the arm and nylon bush under cam (near spindle) does not apply enough pressure, so does not engage. Problem 2. Even if I manually engage the cam siezes as it the motor is not powerfull enough. I have tried 2 working motors and fully greased cam and all components. Should it run smoothly when tirned by hand? Please help. Thanks.
Don't know how to add pics to this?
Closed Thread