UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2005, 10:37 pm   #41
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The NVCF: Time To Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
Having attended a couple of management conferences at the motorcycle museum I too would have misgivings about that venue.

Donnington Park would get my vote, as there is loads of parking, and an enormous hall easily as big as the NEC hall - the catering is also fairer priced!!

Cheers
Sean
Ive been to Donnington Park as well and would be an ideal location, its also near M1-A42 junction, plenty of room for the NVCF
Old 20th Apr 2005, 11:32 pm   #42
Duke_Nukem
Octode

If a move to Donnington park were made, then what would the access be like for people not travelling by car ?

The other issue is moving too far from the current location will cause complaints from those who found the NVCF within reach but not the new location.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 21st Apr 2005, 12:20 am   #43
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Access to Donnington should be fairly good - If the amateur radio do is anything to go by, there are quite a few attendees that do not drive and still get there - it is not that far from the east mids airport......

As for the complaints from people local to the NEC, im sure they would grumble if the event had to close comletely due to a lack of affordable venue, after all people will only pay so much to attend a trade show where the traders do more deals before opening time.....

The venue has to change, if that brings some inconvenience to a few then that is bad luck, but the longevity of the event should be paramount to any decision - The NEC is fast proving to be a poor venue for all sorts of events - Even bands are no longer booking it as a venue the last gig I went to there tickets were 27.50, plus the parking charge...., and that band has sold enough gear for them never to need to perform again!!

Reality is unless the fair moves the NEC will kill it off, still look at the housing you could put on the site.

Rant over
Cheers
Sean
Old 21st Apr 2005, 8:35 am   #44
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Access to Donnington should be fairly good -
Hmm .. a major railway station, an airport, and several motorways ?

Quote:
As for the complaints from people local to the NEC ...
It's not so much those local to NEC, such as me, as Donnington would still be within a comfortable distance. However there are those travel some distance to the NVCF (for example the south west) and it is those who would suffer if it were to move too much further away.

Quote:
Reality is unless the fair moves the NEC will kill it off, still look at the housing you could put on the site.
I agree there.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 27th Apr 2005, 9:14 pm   #45
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

There seem to be a few possible alternatives to the NEC but these may not be as attractive to some.Donnington seems a good bet for people arriving by car, as it is fairly close to the NEC. We should keep in mind that with the car park cost being similar to the entry- except for early admission it doubles the cost of participating. ( I choose to ignore fuel costs so I know I am being irrational ) but it is a bit of an emotive issue when the Society are attempting to give good value for money.
Is it an indication of what might happen in the future? I must say that I follow the impressions of others, that local corporations just look on car parking as a way of making easy money. Claiming that this is justified by extra facilities is a bit weak. They should have been doing what is neccessary all the time if they charge for a service.
It is also frustrating to have a long walk when at the end you go through an empty carpark almost outside the hall.
I haven't helped with any positive suggestions but I may have added to the general flavour of concern.
Old 27th Apr 2005, 11:14 pm   #46
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

With Donnington, you can have outside stalls as well (Weather permitting), and its in a central location just down the down the road from the NEC so to speak. I think the general admission price sooner or later would have to increase to cover increasing hall hire charges noted before, if the NVCF was to stay at the NEC, you could be paying something like £18 getting into the show in a few years time (Based on something like £10 car par charge if went up to that and around £8 admission)
Old 1st May 2005, 6:24 pm   #47
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

For those of us who were not fortunate enough to attend today's NVCF, could someone please enlighten us as to the venue for the next October's event, if this has been decided.
Old 1st May 2005, 8:25 pm   #48
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Smile Re: The NVCF: Time To Move

It is the National Motorcycle Museum, which is off the same junction on the M42 and is only about half a mile from the NEC.

Terry Martini will fill in more details later, but as I understand it they have booked an area to similar size to the NEC hall on the ground floor for the main event. There is an area on the same floor for light refreshments, and another nearby area booked on the complex (I'm not sure where) which will be used as a proper restaurant facility. All visitors benefit from free car parking much closer to the hall. BVWS members can also get reduced price admission to the museum and (I believe) corporate rates at the onsite hotel.

Stallholders will get two chairs per table (at the NEC no chairs were provided). However stallholders will be required to take all their bulky rubbish (boxes, unsold items etc) away and not leave it all over the floor. unfortunately stallholders will not be able to bring their cars into the hall, however there are six entrances around the hall so there should be no problems using trollys. The organisers are aware that a few stallholders may require assistance and are looking into the options here.

Those who attended today will be aware that the NEC did not open the bar in the hall because they felt our event was "too small". We will not have this sort of nonsense from the NMM. Also the car parking at the NEC was £7 today - an increase of £1 from the previous NVCF.

I am aware that some reservations were aired about the NMM in this thread. However I understand that the arrangements that have been made should satisfy most of these. Probably the only one we cannot do anything about is the lack of cash machine onsite.

We are disappointed to have to leave the NEC as in many ways it is an excellent venue for the NVCF. However certain issues (in particular the car parking and the ever-rising hall hire costs) together with an apparent unwillingness by the NEC management to address these, means that the event has to move if it is to survive.

The BVWS committee are confident that the NMM is the right venue for the NVCF. We all appreciate that there may be a few teething problems at the first NMM NVCF, however I'm sure you will be tolerant and will provide constructive criticism.

Paul.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st May 2005, 9:00 pm   #49
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I should add that the NVCF organisers and some members of the BVWS committee did investigate Donnington Park in some detail too, but for a number of reasons (which I don't have sufficient knowledge of to give details) this was deemed to be a less suitable venue than the NMM. One rather significant reason was that the dates wanted (as well as a couple of weekends either side) were already fully booked.

Several other venues were also investigated in detail. At least one other initially appeared to be very promising, until we tried to make a booking...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:29 pm   #50
Neil F
Retired Dormant Member

Well, let me be the first to say (on this forum, anyway) thank God we're leaving rip-off city at last and three cheers for the NMM! What a refreshing change it'll be after the NEC to go somewhere where they actually appreciate your business and try to make you glad you went (instead of looking on you as an inconvenience that has reluctantly to be suffered because its a source of easy money).

I hate the NEC, and I reckon when the NMM burned down last year it was only because the thunderbolt went off-course.
Closed Thread